Old 11-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Laborer

Default Last brick (well almost)

Hi:

Yeah, the dome is done. It has been cold here in the NE, so I have had a heater in the dome over the last week. Especially as it poured with rain on Monday and for some reason the oven wasn't covered so it was very wet right before the colder weather hit.

Now I just need to finish the chimney transition and some cosmetic details on the arch. The plastic jug is being used as a form for the Duratech anchor which I will mortar in place tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I wouldn't have been able to do this without it.

Peels, brush, flour, tomatoes, olive oil and probably most important insulation are all on the way from FornoBravo.

Thanks again

Julian
Attached Thumbnails
Last brick (well almost)-dscf4084-1.jpg   Last brick (well almost)-dscf4092-1.jpg  
Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Last brick (well almost)

Julian,
She's gorgeous. Really nice work!
George

-
Old 11-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah. that keystone.. Awesome!

Really nice !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 11-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nicely done!! Love the plastic jug.

Updated!

Old 11-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Laborer

Now this is the last "brick". I decided to do something different for the last one. Living in the "granite state" I grabbed one of the granite boulders that I had pulled out of the ground when the ovens foundation footings were dug. Managed to cut it into a nice block and then into the final brick. I finally killed the Harbor Freight 10" blade cutting the granite and switched to a new Home Depot blade. I prefer the HF blade it is thicker and cuts slower but it doesn't flex as much so it runs much truer. I started out the project with a HD blade, and switched to the HF blade early in the project because the HD blade was flexing enough that it developed a dangerous looking harmonic wobble.

The granite ended up being close in color to the fire brick so some of the effect is lost. Still not certain exactly where I am going with the arch for the final finish. However, I get to play with fire next weekend... The final finishing is going to wait until next year as it is really too cold to be messing around with mortar and water. My hose pipe and water buckets were all frozen this morning and the layer of ice on the pool didn't melt during the day. Today I cleaned up all the brick working gear and drained all the outside water pipes.

So one month and 230 odd bricks later it is done.

Thanks for looking

Julian
Attached Thumbnails
Last brick (well almost)-dscf4108-1.jpg   Last brick (well almost)-dscf4110-1.jpg  
Old 11-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your avatar...

Is that your finished dome?

I can't seem to find a large picture of it.

And I want to see it!!

How did that vent turn out?

I want to see that too!!

And sorry bout the weather.

But maybe you can keep busy with some curing fires.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Laborer

Hi:

I have been building several fires a day. I am starting to get the hang of it. The dome started to turn white in some areas today. I did ok with the newspaper and cardboard fires. I even did ok with twigs. I had trouble when I moved up to bigger stuff. My brother in law gave me some seasoned wood. It may as well been petrified wood as mostly it would just smoulder and smoke out the neighbourhood.

Today I bought some nice hardwood and that burned very well. I had no smoke for most of the burn.

The good news is no dome cracking. The bad news is my arch did crack. Looks like I made a mistake in not allowing enough expansion room for the Duratech anchor.

My Ratek thermometer seems to only go up to 600 degrees. My vent, top three quarters of the dome and portions of the floor were over 600 and white patches were beginning to appear on the dome.

I need to come up with a fix for the expansion issue on the chimney. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about cutting some expansion slots in the anchor.

I have tried to cook in it. I tried steak yesterday, which didn't work out very well due to the petrified wood. Today I searched for something to cook when everything was nice and hot the best I came up with was a bagel with some cheese. At least I played around with a peel.

Thanks for looking

Julian
Attached Thumbnails
Last brick (well almost)-dscf4111.jpg   Last brick (well almost)-dscf4112-2.jpg  
Old 11-19-2007, 04:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Julian, sorry to hear about the cracks. What part of the anchor expanded? Did the diameter of the bottom that's set in your arch increase?

Updated!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Laborer

Hi Ken:

Yes, the collar is a pretty tight fit in the arch. I didn't anticpate how much that would expand. It cracked pretty early in the firing process. My flue temps are over 600 degrees so it only makes sense that is why the arch cracked and opened up the way it did. Thankfully it is on the outside not on the dome side, so I could potentially repair it if I so choose.

I am thinking about pulling the anchor off tonight and either cutting some slots into it or crimping it so it has some expansion freedom. When I think about it I'm kind of surprised Duratech doesn't crimp it.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentcpa View Post
When I think about it I'm kind of surprised Duratech doesn't crimp it.
While the Duratech system is almost perfect for our ovens, I suspect we are using the the product for an application the engineers didn't anticipate.

The Duratech website lists designed applications: Wood stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, boilers, stoves, ranges, water heaters, or other appliances fueled by wood, coal, oil or gas.

With the exception of "other appliances" the applications listed wouldn't need to worry about a little stainless steel expansion.

I'm curious now... I'll pull my Duratech booklet and see if it mentions expansion.

Updated!