Old 06-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Peasant

Default Just North of Nashville 42" Build

Well I started the whole outdoor kitchen a while back and finally decided it was time to get the oven part done so I can finally finish this project. I am building a 42" high dome and will build an enclosure around it. I already had the hearth poured so it was on to the floor insulating part of it. The first round of FB boards I received were damaged in shipping to the point I refused to use them even though the rep at FB said the amount of damage was acceptable (To who I don't know). I could not swallow the fact I paid 100% for a product I could not use 40% of so they agreed to send a new set of boards. I guess lucky for me they did not want to send a call tag for the damaged boards so between the two sets I was able to piece together a double layer of insulating board. I will say the boards are not the most consistent as far as thickness or being level. That being said I decided to pour a perlcrete cap over the two layers. I covered the FB boards in a double layer of HD foil sealed the joints and capped it. I used a Superplasticizer from Fritz pack that I use in my concrete counter tops to reduce the amount of water needed. So I ended up with 4" of FB board and 2-1/2" of 5:1 Perlcrete. Next is the cooking floor.
Here is the link to the beginning stages of the whole outdoor kitchen area. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...ild-18433.html (Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build)
Attached Thumbnails
Just North of Nashville 42" Build-outdoor-1.jpg   Just North of Nashville 42" Build-outdoor-3.jpg   Just North of Nashville 42" Build-insulation-2.jpg   Just North of Nashville 42" Build-insulation-3.jpg   Just North of Nashville 42" Build-insulation-4.jpg  

Last edited by SteelandStone; 06-15-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Just North of Nashville 42" Build

I actually got the floor laid out and cut last week before I poured the insulating hearth today. I also took the time to face grind, round the edges and polish all the floor bricks to get off any loose or rough areas and so the peel won't catch on them. You can really see the difference in one of the pictures. I also got the first two chains of brick cut and tapered. Time to work on the vent arch bricks now.
Attached Thumbnails
Just North of Nashville 42" Build-oven-floor-1.jpg   Just North of Nashville 42" Build-oven-floor-2.jpg   Just North of Nashville 42" Build-oven-floor-3.jpg  

Last edited by SteelandStone; 06-15-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Apprentice

Like your bottle trees.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campmaki View Post
Like your bottle trees.
Thanks,

I make and sell them along with other metal items at Art shows on the side. Here is free standing tree that holds 52 bottles.
Attached Thumbnails
Just North of Nashville 42" Build-tree-1.jpg   Just North of Nashville 42" Build-tree-2.jpg  
Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Journeyman

your floor is looking good!

Keep the pictures and the questions coming!

Neil
Old 06-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
your floor is looking good!

Keep the pictures and the questions coming!

Neil
Thank you Neil,
I had read quite a bit on here about the square corners and edges of the floor bricks catching the peels so I figured I might as well take the time and round all the edges and ended up grinding the loose stuff off of the tops.
Weather permitting I can lay it all out on the hearth this weekend and start laying some brick.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Peasant

Well I have made some progress. I got the floor laid on the insulating hearth and started building the dome. I did not go with a solider course, instead I did two half brick flat courses then beveled the bottom of the third course to start the curve. If all goes well I will have the fourth course done this week. I also have most of the bricks cut for the oven arch.
I attached a few pics of my version of the IT. It is much like many before it but I modified how it locks into the floor. I took the three center bricks out, then took a 1/4" piece of HDPE sheet drill a hole in the center and installed a metal bushing that extends down approx. 1", I then attached that to the floor bricks with tapcons. I made it this way so I can remove the IT at any time and get it out of my way or clean it if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Just North of Nashville 42" Build-oven-6-30-1.jpg   Just North of Nashville 42" Build-oven-6-30-2.jpg   Just North of Nashville 42" Build-oven-6-30-3.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 04:02 AM
Journeyman

S&S, Great start to your oven. The floor looks good where you ground the edges off, keep up the good work!

Link to my photo album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice brick work on the dome and floor. Just a tip, as you move upward and bevels come into play. Don't cut all of the brick course at once, cut maybe 6 or so see how they fit and make adjustments as needed. Mortar gap, arch tie-ins etc. cause slight changes. Show you best work on the back half and make corrections on the front half of the dome. No one ever peeks in the oven and looks at the front half. Great start.

PS, was just given a box of GooGoo clusters so have to figure out how to make a desert pizza with them.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Nice brick work on the dome and floor. Just a tip, as you move upward and bevels come into play. Don't cut all of the brick course at once, cut maybe 6 or so see how they fit and make adjustments as needed. Mortar gap, arch tie-ins etc. cause slight changes. Show you best work on the back half and make corrections on the front half of the dome. No one ever peeks in the oven and looks at the front half. Great start.

PS, was just given a box of GooGoo clusters so have to figure out how to make a desert pizza with them.
Good advice and I will keep it in mind.

Hope you figured out what to do with the GooGoo Clusters this weekend.