Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Serf

Default Just layed the sand/fireclay/water mixture to set the bricks -- concerned?

Hey all,

I tried searching this one -- I'm trying to put my mind at rest... As the title denotes, I've just set my cooking floor with the fireclay/sand/water mixture... It was all going so well, when I noticed a couple of the center bricks weren't level/had some lips... So I pulled them out and scrapped off the mixture... Put a bit more in and now they're fairly firm...

I guess, I'm just looking for some reassurance as to how important this part of the whole process is... I think I've done a fair job, except where I removed/replaced the couple of bricks I didn't manage to cover the whole square area of the brick with the mixture and have some concerns that some of the dust/particles from the Insblock-19 will blow up into the oven chamber...

Any advice/thoughts/experiences to put my mind at rest?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Just layed the sand/fireclay/water mixture to set the bricks -- concerned?

Any openings between the bricks will fill up with ash. You are good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Just layed the sand/fireclay/water mixture to set the bricks -- concerned?

The sand/fireclay mixture is just for leveling. Some builders don't even wet the stuff.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Apprentice

I used brick dust from the cutting of the bricks, in reality its reality not that important. No issues yet
Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidding View Post
in reality its reality not that important.
Not sure about that - sometimes I think reality is important.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Not sure about that - sometimes I think reality is important.
Haha, what an excellent mispelling that was..
(sorry for the thread hijack haha)