Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Serf

Default Indispensable Tool

I have been reading multiple posts on different builds and seems everyone using this indispensable tool. What is the purpose if this tool? Is it too hold the brick in place if so is that done one brick at a time? Also is it used to measure circumference of the dome and is it adjusted each row? I feel all these builds the builders make them look so easy.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Indispensable Tool

It looks pretty easy because it is pretty easy, unless you drive yourself crazy with small details.

The indispensable tool, so named by it's inventor Hendo (Hendo's dome gauge -- nice idea), holds the brick in place while the mortar initially sets up, then you move it to the next position. In it's simplest form, it also assures that your dome is close to hemispheric. This can be done with a simple string, for the lower courses. It's not till you are 6 courses up that gravity works against your bricks staying in place.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Serf

So is it then adjustable for each row of bricks?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivigliotti View Post
So is it then adjustable for each row of bricks?
You can build one with an adjustable arm if you need it to follow a certain dome profile, in general. There are several variations of this tool that you can come with and they all do a good job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 10-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Serf

Cool thanks! I want to start one asap.

« Dome | Dome »