Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Serf

Default Imperfect Dome

After a winter break, I have just laid the soldier course on my 45 1/2" oven. I laid the bricks outside the floor to give me a bit more cooking room. Luckily, the height of the soldier course above the floor is equal to a 1/2 brick. However, I am finding that my soldier course is not a perfect circle. The question is, should I lay the remaining courses based on the existing inside edge of the soldier course (and continue the non-perfect dome) or, using the IT, lay the remaining courses in a more perfect radius from the center?
Attached Thumbnails
Imperfect Dome-sandyspringspizza-build-4-10-14.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Imperfect Dome

G'day
With 50/50 hindsight you should have used the IT to set that first course, but your here now. Personally I would set up the IT and creep the dome back into line. I'm sure it will still be quite strong these domes are not huge structures. As for it being noticeable at the end in reality it is really hard to see the inside of the dome in a fully constructed oven anyway. So as the owner of a less than perfect dome I recon you'll get away with it as pizza cures all ills
Regards dave
brianventura and NCMan like this.

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Journeyman

I agree with Dave (Dave is one of the pro's on this site and he is pretty much always right!) - 'creep' it back into round. I got my oven out of round at about the 5th course and I brought it back into round over the next few rows. You cannot tell by looking inside that it is an oval half way up!

What you DON'T want to do is make any 'sudden' transitions where you have a large internal 'lip' sticking out.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Serf

I had thought about the "lip" option, but I'll do it gradually. Thanks for the help.

Mark
Old 04-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Apprentice

Hey Guys,
I am new to this stuff and studying every detail... Should the soldier be on the Fiber Board...perhaps in your photo there is insulation underneath the soldier course. Just wondering. I keep reading that nothing should be touching cement as it will bleed heat.

I agree to use the IT to get in into line.

Looking good.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Serf

I am about ready to start cutting my bricks using the Chipster jig. I am not a 3D person and it's taken me forever to get things lined up correctly. I am confused about the cutting the bevel. I am assuming that I cut the tapered sides first and then go back and cut the bevel on the inward facing side at the given angle?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Serf

I am about ready to start cutting my bricks using the Chipster jig. I am not a 3D person and it's taken me forever to get things lined up correctly. I am confused about the cutting the bevel. I am assuming that I cut the tapered sides first and then go back and cut the bevel on the inward facing side at the given angle?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sandy,

I am not sure I follow you. There should be no cutting of the inside face of the brick. The angle is set by the IT and inside face of the brick should be perpendicular to the pivot point on the floor. Mr. Cs jig should cut both the taper and bevel on the sides of the brick in one cut. Maybe I am missing something here.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Serf

You did answer my question. I read the chipster directions as to cut the taper AND the bevel on the sides. However, when I started to cut, I couldn't figure out why the bevel would be needed on the side. I thought I mis-interpreted and that the bevel should be on the inside face. You've cleared it up.

I am assuming the bevel on the side makes for a tighter joint?

Mark
Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is correct, tighter joints and min. the inverse "V" on the vertical joints. Using DJ dome calculator helps you with the baseline taper and bevel angles for each course. Don't cut a whole course at once, cut 3-4 see how they fit and make adj. as needed.