Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Peasant

Exclamation How small

Hi Everyone
I have quite a few questions and I want to get them in a signal thread. I want to start with a question that on the surface seems simple. That is what is the smallest oven that can be built that would be serviceable for a small family and I really don't have large gatherings. I see kits with 24" and larger. I am renting right now and will be buying a house in 6 months. So I have purchased 725 9 X 4.5 X 2.5 firebricks. So I have enough to build several ovens. I want to practice with a small oven so I can work out all of the kinks plus have one I can use and still be able to move to the new home while I build the permanent one. I would like to cook 1 large or 2 small Pizzas. So anyone with smaller ovens I would love to hear from you and anyone with a opinion.

I will leave it here for now as I need to make a list of the questions I had and can't seem to think of right now.
Thank you
Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How small

Here is a thread on an excellent smaller oven built by fxpose:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-12677.html (My 3-Legged Dome)
Old 08-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Peasant

Thumbs up Re: How small

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
Here is a thread on an excellent smaller oven built by fxpose:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-12677.html (My 3-Legged Dome)
Hi
Thanks for the link, I have seen it but I am hoping to go a little smaller and would like to here from those who may have built or used a kit with a 24" inside area or smaller. I have corresponded with fxpose and he said the outside dimensions were 50" or bigger to the front. I need to save as much weight as possible. So I would like to stay around or under 40" but would like the oven to be usable. Thank you again

Last edited by Hank10746; 08-22-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Superior clay makes an 18 inch oven, but I don't know what use it would be. Cupcakes?

Part of the problem with tiny ovens is that the opening is so large in proportion to the oven that it's hard to maintain heat. Also, once you have a fire going, there's precious little floor room for any cooking.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is an oven I built for a small family. (Here is my latest oven, oven number 3 in the curing phase.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My oven is 21" and I find it perfectly adequate. I usually cook 9" pizzas one at at a time and keep an active fire on the side. Sometimes I remove some coals to make more room or wait until they've burnt away. I've cooked for pretty big groups (60+) doing 90 sec pizzas without problems. Having pizzas ready to place in the oven is usually the main hassle. The wide entry relative to oven volume is compensated for by maintaining a fire on the side. I can keep up pizza temp all night this way without refiring the oven. A small oven uses very little fuel so you can easily fire up for two or three pizzas.A small oven is also easier to build and costs and weighs less.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Peasant

Thumbs up Re: How small

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Superior clay makes an 18 inch oven, but I don't know what use it would be. Cupcakes?

Part of the problem with tiny ovens is that the opening is so large in proportion to the oven that it's hard to maintain heat. Also, once you have a fire going, there's precious little floor room for any cooking.
I would think roasting or bread Baking. Probably Not much for pizza unless by the slice is your idea of having Pizza. Maybe you could build a insert for the door area while heating it up then another door to seal it off when cooking. I would rather have one 18" than none at all. Thanks for the link as it gave me some ideas
Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Peasant

Thank you for you reply. Do you have a link to your build. If not what size base were you able to build it on.
Hank
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Peasant

Looking at the oven 300 MM is about 25.5 inches what size was the base you built it on. Looks like what I want to duplicate. Do you have any more pictures. Have you used it if so how did it do
Thank you
Hank
Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

300mm is 12", I havent used it, I only built it for the exercise and for fun..