Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Serf

Default How many firebricks??

Ok I had originnally planned on making a barrel type over like the Rado Hand designed "Swishy" oven. Now that I see the Pompeii oven Im REALLy leaning that way. My question is which takes more firebricks. Lets use a 42" inside cooking area. Which oven takes more bricks. I agree that the Pompeii looks much better and I am up fro the challenge. I am curious about costs.

Of course this is a hypothetical but I was wondering. If we compare apples to apples which use more fire bricks.

Thanks Guy I love this forum
Old 10-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Peasant

Default Re: How many firebricks??

HI Guys,
Also on this point, is there anyway to work out an approx. number of bricks needed for a pompeo oven? I know everyone is different, but supposing you need x amount for the first chain, is there any formula or way of working out how many for each subsequent chain and there on?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: How many firebricks??

Hi Guys,
I built a 40" Pompeii, purshased 200 fire bricks for the build and have around 55 left over, That means I used around 145 for the dome and hearth. The front arch and vent were bricked using household and paving bricks with around 50 bricks and 5 tapered arch bricks. See:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...-4-a-2045.html (Neillís Pompeii #4)

and:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...10-a-2119.html (Neill's Pompeii #10)

A 42" oven is only a little larger in diameter and in height but not necessarily an extra course or chain. I woiuld estimate another5 to 10 bricks cut in halves (20 in total) would make the difference PLUS your entry and vent (and chimney if applicable).

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The number of bricks you use also depends on the building method. The 42" Pompeii plans call for 200 bricks. But that assumes you aren't custom cutting every brick to fit.

I'm cutting all my bricks to fit and so far I've purchased 250 bricks. Looks like I'll need a few more.

Updated!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ditto - I started with the recommended 200 and I WILL need more as well. If I could find a way to use all the cut scrap, I could probably build another oven.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Master Builder

Seems this all started with cost, so I'll throw this in.
Near where I live, in Sacramento, there is a brick manufacurer that,among many other types, makes fire brick. When I tried to buy from them they informed me they weren't allowed to sell to the public. We talked more about my project and he told me he had thousands of "seconds" that he would sell me for .30 each. the imperfections varied. Some simply had a color problem, some had dents in the edge, like in bumped something while it was still soft, and some had a small crack somewhere. But all are very useable since I'm cutting them in half and useing the one good, cut side.
Is there a brick manufacturer near you?
Dusty
Old 10-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dusty,

That is a great deal! I'm assuming the manufacturer is Muddox - that's the product I'm buying in Carson City - But I'm paying $1.40 a pop. Even buying the "good" bricks, they have many chips and cracks. It would have been worth the drive over the hill.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les, I would do the drive to Sac for such a price break. Well worth it. Dusty, nice find. Grab the 250 you should need.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 10-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Master Builder

Yep...H.C. Muddux. 1.19 each at the nearest retailer. Let me know if I can be of any sevice Les.
Acoma,
Please get with me on the photo post thing. They are downloaded to a folder and ready to go from there.
Dusty
Old 10-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dusty, check your inbox. I have given you the route to make it happen.

Acoma's Tuscan: