Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Serf

Default Is the home depot vermiculite good?

Hi, I'm searching were to find the vermiculite here in FL, and I want to know if the vermiculite from Home Depot is good, and how much do I need for a 42'' heart.
Thanks.
THERMOROCK 2 cu. ft. Medium Grade Vermiculite-489702 at The Home Depot
Old 08-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Serf

Default Re: Is the home depot vermiculite good?

I just went to an independent plant nursery and I found big bags of vermiculite $25 and perlite $18, I bought one of each.
I will probably mix them and do 5:5:2 for the heart.
Do I get better insulation doing that?

Last edited by martin_80x; 08-13-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Check with a concrete block supplier. The HD price is twice as much for half as much for what I paid at a concrete block supplier. 4 cu ft for 10 bucks earlier this summer.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Keep in mind that if you buy block fill insulation it will be very fine. Agricultural supply and building yards carry the course vermiculite...it will have better insulation properties.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Journeyman

I found that the Home Depot vermiculite was too fine. I went to a different hardware store here in Northern California (Friedman Brothers) and found a supply of larger bags with vermiculite that was coarser grained - I as much happier with this
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Master Builder

I just received my shipment from Uline I purchased the grade 4 stuff. I think it was $34 dollars for 4 Cubic foot bag, I bought 3 bags. Shipping was pricey I thought. I ordered it on Saturday and had by Tuesday.

KB

Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is pretty high. Had you checked with agricultural suppliers for perlite or vermiculite?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Go to a nursery as Stonecutter suggests.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Apprentice

Mine was 22$ for vermiculite and 18$ for perlite in 4cu.ft. bags from a nursery....and I may add it was the only thing that was easy to get where I live.....
Old 08-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Serf

So if I do a 50/50 mix for the heart, how many parts should I use?
5:5:2 ?
I've been reading how to built it but, I'm a little bit confused, should I use portland cement or regular concrete?
Thanks.