Old 04-26-2008, 04:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Hendo's oven continues

Hi all,
since Hendo's death, I have made it my ambition to see his Pompeii oven finished for his family and friends.
Last Wednesday, I went across town and met his wife Margaret and his brickie Dallas. We looked at Paul's dying instructions, scribbled onto a sheet of paper because only he knew exactly what needed to be done to complete his dream as he had planned it. After an hour or so of discussion, we decided to cut the final 2 courses of taperred firebricks and the two keystone blocks to finally close the dome.
Dallas was glueing the bricks in with high temperature adhesive whilst I was on the saw cutting the bricks for an individual fit. The last row saw us pack the inside of the oven with bricks on edge and place a few pieces of particleboard on top and then to make a damp sand pattern for the final row of bricks as they were nearing vertical when installed.
The dome was closed in record time and we discussed Paul's vague idea of a door. I contemplated casting aluminium doors as I did on my oven but Margaret sald that they did not plan on cooking breads or anything but pizzas. With this in mind, we decided to open the entry chamber by 20-30mm wide and lining the oven opening with a rope seal held in a manufactured stainless steel track.
I have just completed it tonight in readiness for intallation by screwing it to the oven openning before the vent and entry brickwork is continued on 10 May.
We plan to continue the wall brickwork up including 2 glass brick tiles in the wall at the rear of the bench adjacent to the oven, behind the barbeque.
I will get pictures of the progress after my next visit.
Until 10 May,

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Hendo's oven continues-front-pompeii-web.jpg   Hendo's oven continues-last-course-web.jpg   Hendo's oven continues-inside-dome-2.jpg   Hendo's oven continues-rope-seal-surround-web.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Hendo's oven continues

Neil,

That is really nice work. Super great for you to take time to do this!! I;m very sure Hendo would approve!!!

All the best!!

Christo

Old 04-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Master Builder

ditto, warms the heart....
Old 04-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Apprentice

Neill, that's very nice of you, not a case that within the oven construction there are key words like: hearth (slab) and curing (fire)....alla my best.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gorgeous work too neill(and Hendo). I'm sure Hendo is happy to see his work finished there. It was really nice of you to finish it up for his family. Onya!

-
Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

BRAVO... Excellent work guys.

Updated!

Old 05-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hendo's oven continues

Saturday 10 May 08
I got to Hendo's at 1:00pm after purchasing some small dyna bolts for securing the stainless rope seal strip around the oven opening.
Dallas, the brickie had ben there for 5 hours and was busy laying more bricks at the rear of the preparation area. I dropped out mu mixer yesterday for mixing the mortar and it will stay there until the task is complete.
Will post some pics when you can see more progress.
We discussed the chimney vent and got that arranged for him to continue.
I will purchase some stainless and construct almost the same as mine. but will be hidden by the brickwork fascade which will double as the splashback ofor Paul's benches and barbeque area.
We need to do some repairs on Hendo's paving as it is cracking and sinking around the perimeter. I think he will approve!
We have also received offers for an engraved plaque and a decission will be made further down the track.

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Master Builder

Thanks

You guys are great! Big pat on the back....
Old 07-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hendo's oven continues

I just returned from Paul and Margaret's home (and oven) and took all the dimensions for the chimney and void.
Dallas, the brickie has done a wonderful job of the oven dront and enclosure but still to finish the sides and rear wall. As it stands at the moment, I have access to the rear of the wall which runs up to the roof in front of the oven.
Sorry, no fresh pictures as it was an unexpected visit and no camera on board.
I am on holidays and will get the stainless steel sheet for the vent and hopefully install it ready for the first fires within a week.
Some led 'Pool downlights' have been purchased for the oven illumination, but I won't use them as they have a plastic body which will not take the heat. I will provide the same downlights as I installed in my oven as I know they work exceptionally well and withstand the heat.
I will get some up-to-date pics and post them then. But the oven will be finished

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 07-07-2008, 06:21 AM
Master Builder

Really cool that you are spending so much time on this. Can't wait to see the pics!

Christo