Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Journeyman

Default Hendo Gauge / IT

So i'm wondering if I drilled a hole in the center of my oven floor in one of the firebricks and glued a ball and socket into it for my indispensable tool, how tight will the bricks be once the dome is completed. Will I be able to pull out the center brick and replace it with one that has no hole in it?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hendo Gauge / IT

I think you could, but I don't know that it would be worth the effort. The advantage of going the route you're exploring is that the pivot point is almost at the floor. This will bring the roof down by what ever distance you gain over what you might have done, and this distance is negligible with respect to the quality of the build and the functionality of the build. An advantage of using something like 1/2 plywood is you have some protection on the floor of the oven so the cleanup is easier than a bare floor and it's hardier than construction paper.

JMO

Chris
Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
So i'm wondering if I drilled a hole in the center of my oven floor in one of the firebricks and glued a ball and socket into it for my indispensable tool, how tight will the bricks be once the dome is completed. Will I be able to pull out the center brick and replace it with one that has no hole in it?
Just fill the hole with some mortar.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Two thoughts
1) yes, you will likely be able to pull the brick. It's not hard - but it does mess up your leveling layer a bit. Wet sand + fireclay forms a paste makets it tricky to get a brick exactly the same level later. Doable with effort, in my experience (I had to pull a couple bricks that somehow chipped during construction)
2) rather than drilling into a brick, I would suggest using a piece of wood (in place of the brick) that is slightly lower than floor, so that - to Chris' point - you can have your pivot right at, or slightly below floor level

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I made a "wood brick" replacement, much like DJ is recomending. I made it to the best of my ability to the size of the floor brick. I cut the dummy brick from plywood sandwiched together. Mostly 3/4" and what ever thickness of stock that I had available to get it to floor height. (I keep a lot of scraps around the shop ) I did not have a problem removing it, and replacing it, with the actual brick. It may have been cut to the "width of a pencil" mark larger than the actual brick. My eyes ain't what they used to be . But, even if it was a hair larger, that area has since filled with ash.

deejayoh likes this.

Last edited by Gulf; 03-01-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to include pic
Old 03-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

^^^
Gulf thinks of all the tricks. Note the use of a turnbuckle as well.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Journeyman

Gulf excellent idea !! I thought of using the turnbuckle too after a project I just finished this year. We just finished working on a 100 year old suspension foot bridge and the turnbuckles we used were 3 feet long for the wind cables

Where did you get or what did you use for your pivoting base?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
Where did you get or what did you use for your pivoting base?
Thank's DJ and K79,

I used a pivot from an old discarded commercial door closer. It had a threaded adjustment rod that fit one end of the turnbuckle which I got from Ace Hardware.
Here is just a little more about it on my build (Mississippi 44") post #3.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hendo Gauge / IT

K79,
why not drill your brick and when finished, simply remove your tool and turn the brick over! Same brick, same thickness and a level floor.
I would protect the floor with a thin sheet of cardboard, (can be folded over to remove easily).

Neill
Laurentius likes this.

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Journeyman

Great ideas. I'm having a real problem trying to find a pivoting base for my IT. Home Depot or Lowes don't carry anything like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

thanks all.