Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Apprentice

Default HELP! No fireclay...so what to level the pad?

I have called all over around here and can't find plain fireclay. I need to level the vermicrete pad so i can lay the floor. As I understand it. the fireclay that is called for is not refractory cement so it would just be an underlayment of powdered clay to level out the pad. I saw on here that someone reccomended using the dried mortar but my concern would be that the floor bricks would set to it and that would mean that I couldn't swap out a broken brick later on. So I can't find the clay. How about digging up red clay and using it? or how about using sand or some other material . Help me out. What should I be looking for to take care of this?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: HELP! No fireclay...so what to level the pad?

I'm a bit confused. Why do you need anything to level the vermiculite? It's pretty much a slurry, so it will level to your forms. If that's not the case, you can use brick dust, pounded mortar, or sand to level the brick. You will be able to replace a brick with any of those options if that is the concern.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 05-18-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can really use any powdered clay. Pottery suppliers can provide you with ball clay which is a suitable alternative for the kind of temps we fire to. Mix it 50/50 with sand and use it either as a wet layer or dry. It is only needed to adjust the height of the floor bricks so that you have a level floor. Don't mortar between the bricks, they should be free to expand and move
Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Pottery suppliers can provide you with ball clay which is a suitable alternative
The same pottery supply that will sell you the ball clay will also have fireclay, and it will be cheaper to boot.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Apprentice

I too am faced with not being able to obtain fireclay. All that I have contacted and told me they sell fireclay actually sell the mortar that they call fireclay.
So what I have decided to do with the advice from those in this forum is to go as far as I can and pre-cut as many brick as I fill comfortable and collect the shavings (fireclay) and add that to my sand. And if I don't collect enough, I will just use sand to level the floor. Aside from adding some "stickyness" to the sand to help keep the brick from shifting during some of the construction, I don't see where it really is that important.

Gary
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Apprentice

YES!!! You guys are lifesavers. I called a couple places today and ended up going to Campbell's Ceramic Supply in Richmond, right by the raceway. $12.95 for a 50 lb bag of fireclay.
Les, my vermiculite, while quite sloppy when I shoveled it in an smoothed it out is not perfectly flat. I did a "dry run" last night with the floor bricks and a soldier course to get a feel for it and it looked wonky and rundown. Not the look I'm going for at the very beginning. I will mix in a little bit of sand and smooth the fireclay out to obtain that dead flat surface I need to really get this thing started correctly. Thanks again everyone. I never considered the pottery supply.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Laborer

I mixed fireclay sand and water to the consistency of thinset mortar and used a notched trowel to apply. I had problems with leveling the brick because it dried almost immediately. How did it work for you?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Apprentice

it worked pretty well. I spent a good portion of Saturday afternoon pouring out dry clay and smoothing it out. I didn't use any sand. just the clay. I laid my bricks then pulled up a few to adjust height. The clay pulled a lot of moisture up out of the vermiculite and got hard pretty fast. I had to scrape and carve it out to get soem of the pricks properly leveled. All in all I think I did ok with it. Certainly can't beat the price,, once you locate it.

My slow journey to pizza.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Peasant

I used nothing. When I laid my bricks I just settled them on the vermicrete with a tap of the rubber mallet. once finished a few extra taps on the high bits levelled everything sweet!