Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Laborer

Default Gap between bricks?

Gap between bricks?-img_0782.jpg

Gap between bricks?-img_0781.jpg

Gap between bricks?-img_0783.jpg

Hello everyone i just finally figured out how to upload pics, well i am currently on my sixth ring in my dome and just a little worried about the gaps that are coming in now. Is there a specific angle that i am suppose to be cutting the brick? so far i have not cut any angles at all just cut bricks in half so far but the triangles between the bricks seem to be getting bigger..

Thanks,
Dave

Picasa photo library:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dsm; 06-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Gap between bricks?

So long as you are using good mortar, no worries. It is inevitable with the design.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Laborer

Im using the homebrew - 3:1:1:1

Picasa photo library:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Master Builder

They will get bigger and bigger as you go also. You can use mortar or you can cut an angle. On the 6th run I angled just one side. As I went up I angled both sides. When I got close to the top I angled both sides and narrowed down the width of the brick. I don't have specific angles for you but with a few test cuts you can find the angle easy.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Laborer

Ok thanks, will try some trial pieces tomorrow and see how it goes if it stops raining here in NJ this rain is killing me.

Picasa photo library:

Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Peasant

I took the top corner off the brick...my thoughts on mortaring the gap are that it's not necessary - it only increases the chance of mortar falling into your pizza and of being sued by your friends! The outer insulation layer should keep the heat in. Of course I aim for as tight a fit on the bricks as possible.
My method for placing the bricks was to scribe a line down the centre of the brick and aim this at the centre mark on the floor. After a while you get a feel for how much mortar to place under the brick, or you can use a 20mm piece of wood as a guide. As long as the face of the brick can reflect the heat back to the centre of the oven, all should be well?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you want to get rid of the triangles, you have to tilt the brick up at the same angle that it will be in the course you are working on when you run it through the saw. Look at Hendo's twist and tilt thread, it gives pretty good step by step instructions on how to get a compound angle cut.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tilt-2802.html (Twist and Tilt)

Old 06-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Gap between bricks?

Hi Dave,
as you get higher, the gaps will increase proportionally both between the rows and between the bricks.
To reduce these, you might use a diamond saw to take a thin wedge off either the top or bottom of the brick and using that wedge pushed into your home brew, the same could be done on the sides of the bricks but yo would need to cut a small wedge off each side.
At least you home brew (in my opinion) is your best and most economic alternative.
Don't cut off too much as it will increase your row count and your brick count per row.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 06-08-2012, 05:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Gap between bricks?

FWIW, I tapered most of the bricks and tried for almost no mortar on the inside of the dome....If I had a do-over, I'd not cut any bricks and would make the mortar a quarter inch thick on the inside of the dome and let the mortar do its work to hold everything in place. I made it much more difficult than was necessary.
Gulf likes this.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Laborer

Thank you all for the helpful Comments, I will give it a shot tonight.

Again thanks.

Dave

Picasa photo library: