Old 06-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Apprentice

Default Freaking RAIN!

I took Friday off to work on the final phase of my dome. I planned to cut firebricks all day so I could mortar them up on Saturday.

Thursday night we had a bad T-storm. Knocked out our electricity, so I could not cut bricks. Luckily, I borrowed a generator from a friend, and was able to cut one course of bricks.

On saturday I cut bricks all day. I planned to mortar them up Sunday.

It was raining Sunday Morning. Between that and a couple of Honey-Do errands I couldn't start mortaring until 3:00.

I was smearing the last layer of mortar on the dome ("frosting on the cake") when the rain started again. I was able to just finish and throw the tarp over the dome before it begain to rain hard for the rest of the night.

After dark, I noticed that the wind had blown the tarp away from part of the dome. Scheisse! I forgot to weigh down the tarp.

This morning I found that the rain had melted away some of the mortar on once side. No biggie; I can re-do it.

Between the windy rain, the soaking of the bricks for mortar adhesion, my entire dome is very wet. I've got a lot of drying out to do.

I'll post pix of the final phases in my other post.

Cheers,

- Fio
Old 06-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bummer,

We could use some of that rain out here in colorado, but don't send it until I finish my dome!
Drake
Old 06-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray
Bummer,

We could use some of that rain out here in colorado, but don't send it until I finish my dome!
Drake
Drake, you can bet if jjerrier and I are anywere in between you and Fio we'll take that rain!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:32 AM

Default rain

I don't have room for a free-standing oven in my yard, so I am having to dig footings next to the studio to support the structure and the chimney. I finished the three-foot-deep retangular hole a couple of weeks ago, and it's been wet weekends since. The hole fills up a lot faster than it percolates out.

The good news is that in the meantime I scored a truckload of free concrete blocks and 2x8s from craigslist. This week I got the 10 inch brick saw from Harbor Freight (I never saw dumber and ruder sales help in all my born days) and am still looking for a cheap or loan concrete mixer for my footings and slab.

It is summer. It's gotta dry out soon, even here in Jersey.