Old 09-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Peasant

Default Flue Liner

I am using a taracotta flue liner. When I put the roof on what do I use to put around the liner? Do I have to put anything? This is my first oven, I will be posting pictures soon, I am having a great time doing this on my own. Please let me know about the liner
Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Flue Liner

I ran into a similar issue when I ran my terracotta flue pipe through the roof on my oven.

Not sure I took the easiset route, but it seems to be working well for me.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ch...html#post12660 (Christo's Cucina)

I took some of the ceramic iblanket scraps I had left and wrapped it around the flue tile where it passed through the roof. I have at least a 3 inch gap between the flue and the metal studs used to support the roof. I do not have any combustibles in my enclosure construction until it comes to the rubber membrane roof.

I made roughly a 5 inch frame of the iso board around the flue and attached it with construction adhesive around the outside edge only. I smeared hi temp silicone on all the cracks.

Over that I installed my rubber membrane roof, careful to keep it 3 inches or more away from the flue tile.

I then made a small form 1 inch larger in all dimensions than the ceramic isoboard curb, wrapped a piece of cardboard around the flue tile to leave an expansion gap and poured a chimney cap. Since it was rather thin, I used fiberglass reinforced stucco mix and threw in a shovel full of gravel.

After it cured I pulled the cardboard out from between the flue and the cap and sealed the gap with hi temp silicone. I painted the flue and the cap with black paint when I was done per the picture below.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Flue Liner-roof.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.