Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Peasant

Default First Timer's AZ Build

OK, going to start a thread of my pizza oven build. Goal: to be complete by Thankgiving (hopefully I don't laugh at this looking back in a few months). I have attached pictures of the proposed site for my WFO. I will be doing roughly a 12' by 6' pad, as I want to have a little sink and counter on the side for prep. I am thinking a corner bulid, but haven't settled on it yet.

The first picture is a wider shot of my location, and the second is a closer view. I plan on having a 2' space between the back of the installation and the wall (not sure why, fairly arbitrary). I will be setting it up parallel to the wall.

Am I missing anything? Design shots coming soon.First Timer's AZ Build-pizza-oven-1.jpg

First Timer's AZ Build-pizza-oven-2.jpg
Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: First Timer's AZ Build

You better get going if you want to finish by Nov. Good luck and plan it out as best as you can.

Mike D
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: First Timer's AZ Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
You better get going if you want to finish by Nov. Good luck and plan it out as best as you can.

Mike D
And, don't forget those pictures.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Laborer

I am interested to see yours go up. It seems like corner builds are in the minority and so I am interested to see your design. Let any of us AZ builders know if you have any questions on where we got our materials.

Last edited by dtrbovich; 04-24-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Changed text
Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Master Builder

Welcome aboard.

I think you are right about the corner builds. I am on my second course of mu corner build. I have done a lot of planning and building to get to this point so hope i can help. keep the pics coming.

Tracy

Old 04-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Peasant

Ok, designing over placement and layout right now. See foundation dimensions and overall plan. I am likely going to add a CMU column in the center of my plan, but that shouldn't affect my foundation layout. Overall dimensions, and using 4" thick slab with no footers, and using this website (Concrete Calculator, Prices and Pouring Information - The Concrete Network), it looks like I will need 50 bags of 40# concrete for the slab...or about 0.5 yard of concrete.

Anything I am missing here? I added another course of CMU to give me 16" of extra space for placement in front, and planning on 5 courses of CMU to allow for my oven height to be higher (learning from C5dad's advice).

I'll worry about my enclosure design, etc later. But for now, I am hoping this will work for my 42" oven.
Attached Thumbnails
First Timer's AZ Build-oven-foundation.jpg   First Timer's AZ Build-oven-top.jpg  
Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Peasant

CMU - those are the 8x8x16 concrete blocks. Great point about the concrete mix. I don't know what's best...yet!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Journeyman

Phxdt

I have seen several plans where folks will use a wall in the middle. A pier would work as well. Thing is - just be sure to use rebar at the proper spacing - 6 inches or less for a longer span. My base is completely open and I did not remove the forms from underneath for 30 days to hit max strength.

As for the bag mix, I think I had my slab poured for me during the house construction and added 2 layers of mesh underneath (pad is 6" thick.) Depending where you live in the valley, footers are really not needed unless you have an issue with subsidence, and then you really do not want to live there. 60 pound bags of concrete run less than $3 at Lowes and Home Depot.

As a reminder - now that we are hitting the 100 mark, be sure to wet the ground thoroughly before pouring the cement to avoid the water getting sucked out and killing your strength!

CW

Follow my build
Old 04-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Serf

Where are you getting the fire brick?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Peasant

I haven't sourced it yet, actually. I am taking this one step at a time.

...and thanks for the extra tips, C5dad.

Tags
arizona, new builder, wfo