Old 02-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Journeyman

Default First fire in Wisconsin

February has been a killer month in Wisconsin, with the most snow falling for the season since they started recording it and most of it hit in February. This weekend was the rarity with two days of above zero (F) temps, no winds and clear skies. So I decided to push back the tent and start the curing fires. I am using the approach James suggested recently with all day fires from 300 to 700 degrees over the course of 5 days.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...tegy-3227.html (Curing strategy)

So far (after all of one day), seems to be working out great. Love how the dome looks after the first fire. Interesting how each experience gets you focused on a different part of the forum. After spending WAY too long getting the initial fire started I am now hitting threads that focus on that part of the process.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
First fire in Wisconsin-firstfire.jpg   First fire in Wisconsin-dome-1stfire.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: First fire in Wisconsin

Congrats neighbor (with particular recognition for fortitude)....the post should be Firing in February....let it snow!

Soon come the cooking fires and the good eatin....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Journeyman

Congratulations Jim, I'm glad the weather broke for you to start. How are you monitoring the temp, IR gun or did you put in thermocouples?

"It's time to go Vertical"

Old 02-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLake View Post
Congratulations Jim, I'm glad the weather broke for you to start. How are you monitoring the temp, IR gun or did you put in thermocouples?

I am using a combination of a thermocouple probe to measure ambient and a IR to measure various surfaces of dome, but after a very short time you get a sense for what size fire is required to maintain the temp. I am adding wood (small pieces) every 15 minutes or so.

Jim
Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Master Builder

Atta babe! Way to go Jim. Soon you will be switching you forum focus to Dave and his cooking shows!

dusty
Old 02-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congratulations!!

It'll be cool to see how this curing method works out for you. When's the first cook-up planned?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

JCG,
How hard is it to maintain the temps according to the plan? Does it go up and down 100 degrees everytime you add wood then let it die down?
George

-
Old 02-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
JCG,
How hard is it to maintain the temps according to the plan? Does it go up and down 100 degrees everytime you add wood then let it die down?
George

It hasn't been too difficult (although time consuming) because I am using small pieces (1/8 splits) and just adding two to three every 20 minutes or so.
Put a 1/4 split on hoping I could extend the refresh time, but had to take it off because it moved the temp 50 degrees. So back to every 15-20.

Jim
Old 02-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's kind of what I thought would happen. Electric or gas heat curing would be easier to control, at least I think, for the newest curing plan.

-
Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Journeyman

I've just removed by supports below the hearth and am wondering what I'll do with all the 2x4s. Could they be used in the drying fires or would the creosite be an issue?

"It's time to go Vertical"