Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Peasant

Default First course

Some new pics of our recent progress.
Attached Thumbnails
First course-dsc02585-1.jpg   First course-dsc02581-1.jpg   First course-dsc02594-1.jpg   First course-dsc02584-1.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: First course

I'm a bit confused by your pictures. Does your soldier course sit directly on your concrete slab then you filled the interior with something?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
I'm a bit confused by your pictures. Does your soldier course sit directly on your concrete slab then you filled the interior with something?
A little different huh?

The soldier course is sitting on the cement slab and filled with, First layer 1" 1800 degree fiber board, follow by 4" refractory cement, then a 1" 2300 degree board, then we will lay our firebrick cooking floor on top of that. The reason I am leaving the 2300 board and cooking floor out till we get out dome done is because we want all of the refractory to cure correctly. Not the most traditional way but we like it so far.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Master Builder

I only ask because when you heat your oven the dome will get hot. But that soldier course to the concrete will wick your heat away from your oven to the concrete slab. See where I'm going with that?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
I only ask because when you heat your oven the dome will get hot. But that soldier course to the concrete will wick your heat away from your oven to the concrete slab. See where I'm going with that?
I guess I did not think about that, I thought the 2 boards and the refractory cement would be ok.. So when you put your soldier course on top of refractory, the refractory wicks the heat away from the cement? Any suggestions...
Old 10-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Since its only the first coarse - I would pull it and insulate under it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Master Builder

I think the big trick is to heat just the oven bricks. (Your progress so far looks wonderful) so if you don't have an insulation layer between your solders and your concrete base as your trying to get your oven to temp your loosing some of your heat to the concrete slab. So it it were a swimming pool, you'd have a big leak if you know what I mean.

My thought is that I believe the oven will function as a pizza oven as it is but it won't be very efficient. If your looking to do more then pizzas and cooking days after the firing your oven will be at a disadvantage. So the choice is yours on (leave it as it is or get insulation under the solders) I know others will chime in on this one so I would give it some thought before you proceed any more.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The heat will just trickle out trough the bricks into the concrete base and you will be forever feeding the thing firewood, been there done that with my first oven.

Everything needs to be off the concrete base and well insulated, even the entry bricks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Peasant

What kind of insulation & the what amount you would apply under the soldier course to fix this problem?
Also I want to understand why this creates a huge leak and why the insulation changes that? Not trying to question you just want to be a informed builder.
Thank you for your input it it very useful.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
The heat will just trickle out trough the bricks into the concrete base and you will be forever feeding the thing firewood, been there done that with my first oven.

Everything needs to be off the concrete base and well insulated, even the entry bricks.
Thank you! How did you go about fixing yours??