Old 06-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Serf

Default Fireclay

So I was just wondering if it would be possible to not use the fireclay mixture to set the oven floor in place but rather just use regular mortar. If I do use the fireclay mixture how thick can it be? In general this step just confuses me so any lengthy explanation on the subject would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Lou
Old 06-26-2009, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Fireclay

No lengthly explanation needed. The fireclay mixture levels your floor if your insulation layer isn't flat. It only needs to be thick enough to get it level. You can mix it with water and trowel it on with a notched trowel, or you can put the layer down dry, lay your floor, and wet your floor to set it. I wouldn't use mortar, refractory mortar is really expensive and you don't want regular portland mortar in a high heat situation.

My insulation boards were flat, so i just set the bricks down on top of them: no leveling needed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
construction problems, fireclay, oven floor