Old 10-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Serf

Default Fire bricks for Pompei oven

Hi every one, I'm building a pompei oven and I'm at the stage where I'll start working with the fire bricks.

My uncle learned about my project and suggested that I used some old used fire bricks that he has from an old oil based furnace. I checked them out and they appear to be in good shape and he has enough for at least two ovens. My only concern is their age. They are at least 30 yrs old. Are these too old? What is the longevity of fire bricks?

The last thing I want is to use them and they start breaking after 5 yrs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nick
Old 10-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Fire bricks for Pompei oven

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum! Great question.

We've had several members use old, reclaimed bricks. As long as they appear to be in good shape and free from any cracks I don't think you'll have any problem with them.

Now, the big question: I'm not real familiar with how oil furnaces work. Are the bricks exposed directly to the oil? As long as the bricks weren't exposed to anything toxic, you should be fine. I'm sure others will jump in here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Fire bricks for Pompei oven

If they were exposed to the fumes caused by burning oil they might contain carcinogens and other impurities. I'd pass on those, or at least get them tested.