Hello,from Kobe!
Most home centers around here sell only
the regular kind of wall insulation which is
a fiberglass wool would that work instead of your FB blanket
or Insulfrax????
The climate around here is very similar to Seattle so insulation
I'm told is often not needed.
I'm thinking of using again loose vermiculite or perlite, are there
any other materials that can be used ?????
Thanks in advance for your kind advice.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: finding FB blanket insulation!

Don't listen to anyone who tells you you don't need insulation! You do and it has nothing to do with the climate!

Regular wall insulation won't work either, but if you can't find any high temp insulation products, vermiculite or perlite should do very well. I think... don't the plans say that you can insulate with just vermiculite?

Have you tried calling fireplace or heating constructors, or regular construction firms? I ended up insulating with rockwool, but it was a product made for insulating furnaces, and they don't sell it in regular do-it-yourself shops.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Laborer

Chao,Frances!
domo,domo! as soon as I come up with the "final answer "as a popular TV
show says ,I will let you know. Oh,yes ,I will ask around about rockwool insulation for furnaces.
Is "Hydrocorn "any good ?You know it is regularly used in hydroponic farming and gardens.
Well, thanks again.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Masako,

Frances is right. You need as much insulation as you can afford. You can always use vermiculite.

There is likely a refractory supply company in Kobe or Osaka. They should have the appropriate ceramic blanket insulation.

Follow the Forno Bravo plans carefully. There are a lot of people who don't understand what we are building and they can give very bad advice.

Updated!

Last edited by Ken524; 08-12-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:33 AM

You said in another post that you had limited space. This makes the use of the ceramic fiber blanket insulation even more important, as it uses half the space as vermiculite. Forget domestic wall insulation: you need the high performance mineral wool blanket from a refractory supply.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Journeyman

Masako-
Before I purchased the blanket from FornoBravo, I went to a wood burning stove store. They told me a 1 in blanket gives as much insulation as 8 cinderblocks would. Of course they wanted to sell my a 4ft by 2ft rectangle for $100. I ordered the FornoBravo blanket instead for $75, its 50 sq ft, enough to wrap your oven twice. From what I gather on the forum here, there is nothing worse than an oven that doesn't hold heat well. You could end up spedning hours trying to get your oven up to temperature. Don't skimp on this step...wrap it in a blanket and add as much vermiculite around it that you can- the more insulation the better.

See ALL of my pictures here: