Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Serf

Default Finally finished building the dome but now?

I finally finished the Pompeii style dome on Friday. I have a 'possible' pizza party scheduled for the 22nd. I will let it sit for a week probably with a shop light inside it to at least begin some of the drying. It had styrofoam forms with sand holding them and the sand got soaked due to rain. I plan to do the proper slow curing process.

My questions are:

1) I'd like to get inside the dome and 'grout' any open joints with heat stop or is this not necessary (I'm no mason and it is FAR from perfect)?

2) I have two rolls of fire blanket that I plan on covering the dome with then layering vermicrete on top of that. Should I just layer the blankets on and use that way and after the party install the layer of vermicrete?

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated by this noob.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally finished building the dome but now?-mypatio14.jpg   Finally finished building the dome but now?-mypatio15.jpg   Finally finished building the dome but now?-mypatio16.jpg  
Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Finally finished building the dome but now?

I finished my dome a couple weeks ago (I did nopt use forms) and I mixed up some refractory mortar and applied it by hand whereever I didn't like the looks of the joints, which was only a few places. After I let is set for about an hour, I sponged off the joints using the same technique as if I was grouting tiles. I had used this approach while building the oven, so it works ok.

When I applied the insulation, I was worried about it getting rained on, so I immediately covered it with chicken wire and castable insulating cement. I have not fired my oven yet, so everything remains covered in a tarp while I build the rest of the structure and roof.