Old 06-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Serf

Default Final dome keystone: castable?

Hi all,

So I'm at the stage of planning the final keystone for the dome, and have seen most folks cut theirs out of a brick. This seems to involve tracing and trimming (and even some use of flour to find the high spots by our friend in Bellingham!). But since I had success casting the whole inner arch from refractory concrete, I thought maybe the final keystone could be cast as well. Looks like waynespizzaworld did this a couple years ago (here (castable keystone cure), and in the 2nd and 3rd photos below). Any reason not to do this?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Final dome keystone: castable?-20130609_161644.jpg   Final dome keystone: castable?-castable-keystone1.jpg   Final dome keystone: castable?-castable-keystone.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Final dome keystone: castable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsds View Post
Hi all,

So I'm at the stage of planning the final keystone for the dome, and have seen most folks cut theirs out of a brick. This seems to involve tracing and trimming (and even some use of flour to find the high spots by our friend in Bellingham!). But since I had success casting the whole inner arch from refractory concrete, I thought maybe the final keystone could be cast as well. Looks like waynespizzaworld did this a couple years ago (here (castable keystone cure), and in the 2nd and 3rd photos below). Any reason not to do this?

Steve
No reason at all. in fact it is easier to cast the whole thing. just be careful to let it dry well before firing because that keystone gets hotter quicker than anything else, because of its position.