Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Serf

Default European version of the HF saw?

What are people in Europe using since it is not possible to purchase the Harbor Freight saw?

Any alternative brands and models that are fit for purpose? I found a Far Tools tile saw, but it can only handle tiles or brick to 3.6 cm or an inch and a half approx...
Old 05-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Laborer

Default Re: European version of the HF saw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2bzfgzKfF0
This is me cutting bricks on a cheap mitre saw with a 10 inch masonry blade (Evolution Rage 3 Diamond Cutting Blade 255mm).
Here I'm soaking bricks and it works great, but you really only need to wet the surface and spray a little water on the blade before cutting.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steellearning View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2bzfgzKfF0
This is me cutting bricks on a cheap mitre saw with a 10 inch masonry blade (Evolution Rage 3 Diamond Cutting Blade 255mm).
Here I'm soaking bricks and it works great, but you really only need to wet the surface and spray a little water on the blade before cutting.
Ok, that took less time than I thought with a mitre saw. A good bit of dust though... How much was the blade (the ones I saw were e90 which seems to be far more expensive than what I believed our American cousins were paying)? I realise you would be paying Kroner (and from memory of my visit there Norway is not the cheapest!)
Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Laborer

The dust is a problem but I didn't have a shop vac hooked up at the time.
With the shop vac there is less dust.
I saw this blade on ebay:
EVOLUTION 255mm Diamond Blade For Rage3 / Rage3-DB 28.08. I paid a little less but that was last year.
Just make sure the blade fits your mitre saw "Bore 25.4mm
Kerf (Thickness) 0.079"
Old 05-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Laborer

I was inspired by your video Steel, when I first saw it on youtube I went to all the hardware stores in town searching for a blade but to no avail. Found the blade later on ebay for 13 gbp inc. shipping to Sweden. 250mm Diamond Blade Disc for Granite Marble Tiles Stone | eBay
Got nervous waiting for the blade so I ordered a segmented version too, but the first one was really sufficient, have cut at least one hundred bricks today and no sign of wear at all.
I found it better to soak the bricks for a couple of hours, then there will be no dust. In addition I also sprayed ever so lightly with a hose directly on the blade while cutting. The blade is meant for 2250 rpm and the saw runs at 5000 rpm, but that seems to be no problem.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Laborer

Running a blade at twice the recommended revs is asking to wear it in your face the max revs are there for a reason
Old 05-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Laborer

That is so true, faces should be kept out of the blades way just in case.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:24 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugnsnisse View Post
I was inspired by your video Steel, when I first saw it on youtube I went to all the hardware stores in town searching for a blade but to no avail. Found the blade later on ebay for 13 gbp inc. shipping to Sweden. 250mm Diamond Blade Disc for Granite Marble Tiles Stone | eBay
Got nervous waiting for the blade so I ordered a segmented version too, but the first one was really sufficient, have cut at least one hundred bricks today and no sign of wear at all.
I found it better to soak the bricks for a couple of hours, then there will be no dust. In addition I also sprayed ever so lightly with a hose directly on the blade while cutting. The blade is meant for 2250 rpm and the saw runs at 5000 rpm, but that seems to be no problem.
Don't think we'll have any problems with the rpm. The mitre saw pretty much covers the blade and I wear gloves, eye and ear protection when using it. I've cut around 100 bricks too so far. If I'm lucky the blade may hold for the entire build. I'll give the long soak a try. If you look at the brick side after cutting you can see how far the water soaks in. The sides only took a minute to soak... don't think I looked at the center cuts I was just so happy it worked.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:44 AM
Laborer

I've been cutting a few bricks this morning and I could really recommend setting your garden hose to a minimum and applying that water just where the blade cuts in at the brick. No dust. I'm thinking of somehow connecting the hose directly to the saws protecting shell. Maybe for the next build.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:10 AM
Master Builder

Need to be careful that your saw can handle the water. Electricity and water are not friends to the user when they combine. Wet saws are designed to cope with the water safely.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics