Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Elizabeth's oven

Ok. I think I have planned this out enough now- I had to go back to the drawing board a couple of times when I got into more of my husband's yard than he was happy with

If it ever stops raining, (not that I'm really complaining, since we've been too dry) I'm digging up the space next to the garden in the first picture. The "oven complex" is going to be L shaped, with counter to the left, the oven in the corner, on an angle, and an area for the gas grill to the right. (I am hoping the grill will not be used much after the oven is built- I have my eye on a tuscan grill!) I second picture is my poor man's CAD version of what it should look like. I'm planning on leaving the oven an igloo, with sort of straight sides and a crown on top, so I can put some mosaic tile banding on it. I want to play with concrete for the counter part, but that will come later. I am building in installments, beginning with the slab and the oven. Easier on the budget that way.

I have most of my bricks, as you can see, and I got a saw to cut them with- I have an expensive bridge saw, which I can't use on this project due to the depth of cut needed, so I went with a circular-style wet/dry saw, which won't cut quite through, but I can break them the rest of the way or flip them and cut from both sides. It makes more sense for me to add this tool, since I do a fair amount of tile anyway.

So now all I have to do is dig. I can start tomorrow, weather permitting!

In the meantime, I baked something today- a new recipe. I can't wait to bake in my wfo!
Attached Thumbnails
Elizabeth's oven-oven-003.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-oven.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-oven-002.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-oven-008.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Elizabeth's oven

Elizabeth,

Looks good. Just a heads up, if you are going to finish the island with brick - make sure that the runs are an even mutiple. I ended up cutting a little bit off of a hundred bricks for one of my runs

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
I baked something today- a new recipe.
Looks delicious! Is it sourdough?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Elizabeth,

Looks good. Just a heads up, if you are going to finish the island with brick - make sure that the runs are an even mutiple. I ended up cutting a little bit off of a hundred bricks for one of my runs

Les...
Oh wow. What a pain. I was planning on using the cultured stone to finish- I may just do stucco in the meantime. But thanks for the warning.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhansen View Post
Looks delicious! Is it sourdough?
No, it's supposed to be Pane Pugliese. I am not sure that it's all that authentic, since it didn't use a starter or biga, but it tastes good and the crumb is nice and holey, like my kids like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Elizabeth's oven-100_1128.jpg  

Old 04-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Master Builder

Elizabeth,

It was refreshing to see your "poor man's CAD" sketch. That's as sophisticated as I can get with design. Looks like you've got a great start. Nice looking bread, too.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Has anyone done anything about a "screen door" to prevent sparking while firing the oven? I expect I'll have something on top of the chimney at the end, but I was wondering about sparks out the front. Do you even get many?

I've checked with the building inspector and he's fine with my location, but I'd hate to miss an opportunity to be careful.

If I were to build one, would fiberglass screening work? If I were to make it to fit the external arch, would it be too hot for the screening there?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Apprentice

Elizabeth,
If by fiberglass screening, you mean the stuff used for window screens, it'll definitely melt before your oven even gets up to temp. Aluminum screening will last just a little longer, but nothing to waste your time on.

Depending on the dryness of the wood and what you are burning, sparks out the front could be problem. Many of us have solid metal plates doors that fit on the outside.... make it so it allows combustion air to enter at the bottom by either cutting in a vent or just having little legs to elevate it off the hearth. You can even prop it up on some extra bricks. You only need an inch or so to allow enough air in. I only stick mine on when I leave the oven unattended... and even then only when the oven is first firing up. After the oven is up to temp and you just got a small fire going to keep the temp up, sparking is not a problem.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool! Another oven to be built. More opportunities to second guess.

I've yet to see a spark come out the front of my oven.

-
Old 04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

ok, now I have to find a place for all this dirt I'm digging up. Dirt, loosely. It's mostly lovely Virginia red clay. Darn backfill from when we built the house.

but I can see in my mind's eye the completed oven, and it's going to be wonderful!

I'm going to start putting pictures up on the website we have so I won't hog bandwidth. Is it ok to use the ours, which is on msn instead of picasa?