Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Master Builder

Default dusty dome is 4" tall

Well... I'm off and running. Finally started building my oven. I ended up ordering refmix from our beloved FB on Monday. Took off of work a bit early that day, went home, and started laying out the soldier course. One thing led to another, and I ended up cutting a wedge off of every-other soldier brick. This so to cut in half the number of motar wedges I would have to make (and cut in half the amount of motar that I would use). My Refmix was on the porch the next day - yesterday! I started yesterday by glueing (with the sticky mortar) each wedge shaped soldier to the half brick soldier with a minimum of refmix - maybe 1/16". First photo.
So, today, I had to set 22 big fat bricks instead of 44 skinny bricks. Twice as fast to level and set. These pics are at the half way point today. I ended up completeing the first course about 4:30. In the photos, you can see that I had a wedged shaped joint at every-other brick.
I suppose I'm rambling, but the first four inches are done! Woo Hooo!

dusty
Attached Thumbnails
dusty dome is 4" tall-dome-11-14-2007-001.jpg   dusty dome is 4" tall-dome-11-14-2007-002.jpg   dusty dome is 4" tall-dome-11-14-2007-003.jpg   dusty dome is 4" tall-dome-11-14-2007-005.jpg   dusty dome is 4" tall-dome-11-14-2007-004.jpg  

Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: dusty dome is 4" tall

Outstanding work! Clever idea, cutting ever other brick. You're really off and running now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Apprentice

Oh man...this is gonna be a great oven and a really good thread. Thanks for posting. I like your innovative ideas with the bricks. Logic tells me the less mortar you use the better the build... I cant wait to see how this all turns out.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Steve. And yea, I am thinking the less motar, the beter it may hold heat- but I'm not sure. What I DO know is that at $90 for 45lbs. delivered, I want to make this stuff go as far as possible!

dusty
Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Dusty.

I agree with Kemo and Ken.
Good idea.

But I was wondering about the piece you are cutting off....
Could it be placed in the larger gap?
Just a thought.

My oven has some pretty good sized cracks... I used lots of mortar. So I thought this idea might help ya some. And save mortar for you.

Keep up the good work, and the great picture posts.

It's fun to watch.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Another oven takes flight. Congratulations.

Still, I have a question -- how do you cook pizza in a 4" high oven. :-)

Dave, I have given into the dark side -- embrace your cracks.

James

Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Master Builder

That was my idea Dave. I tried. But by the time I put even a tiny bit of motar on each side of it, the gap was to big between the big fat bricks. So then I tried to just tap them into the wet mortar after I set the bricks. It would only go part way, then start to move the brick I had just set. In the attatched pic you can see a stack of them on the piece of slate. I was going for it.

James, since when do you make 5" tall pizzas?

dusty
Attached Thumbnails
dusty dome is 4" tall-dome-11-14-2007-005.jpg  
Old 11-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

LOL.

Chicago Deep Dish?

James

Old 11-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dusty - I think you missed James' humor. Your thread is "dusty dome is 4 inches tall". I think you meant 4 feet tall. But if I am incorrect, I have to go with James, how do you cook a pizza in a 4 inch oven I think it may be ideal for a bread stick.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Another oven takes flight. Congratulations.

Still, I have a question -- how do you cook pizza in a 4" high oven. :-)

Dave, I have given into the dark side -- embrace your cracks.

James

Yes...
I must embrace and fill! They do add character....

Hopefully... the insulation this week..

My costs:

My pics: