Old 12-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Serf

Default Dome thickness question.

I've read that the dome thickness is best between 3" and 4.5" so my question is why haven't I been able to find someone that cuts their bricks into thirds? For a domestic oven would there be much of a differance going this route compared to the half brick? I see the differance in the thermal mass, more curious as to the reasons people don't seem to do this. It would be lighter and extra insulation could be added to the dome without making it look larger than the standard Pompeii design. Any thoughts on this topic are appreciated.

Rob
Old 12-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dome thickness question.

I think it is a good compromise between too little mass and too much. If you want to bake, it will retain the heat longer. If all you are doing is pizza, it probably wouldn't matter. Structurally, I don't see it being an issue to use thirds.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Serf

Thanks Les.

I don't think that it would save much money going with thirds instead, I just want to have the best oven for what I want it to do. A few pizza's and then a couple loaves of bread, maybe a roast after the bread is done. That would be about the most I would cook at once. If I wanted to do more pizza's for a party, I'd just keep the fire going. If the 3" will be more effective for what I want, that's the way I will go.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I cut my brick in half - 4.5 inches. I'm very happy with the results. I am able to slow cook on the third day after the fire.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:43 PM

A few things:

Cutting the bricks in half leaves you the factory edge, which is somewhat harder than a cut face, facing the fire.

A half brick thickness dome is stronger because it is thick enough to encompass the catenary, the strongest form of the arch. Arch details here:

Finally, I made a really thin dome, 2 1/2 inches, and I don't think my dome heats up any faster than the four inch numbers.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Serf

Thanks Dmun,

I was going to ask you more about this in your thread, but didn't want to hijack it So the factory edge would be the best reason for cutting it in half instead of thirds. Just doing my research. I really appreciate this great forum. It really helps having the support of others who have a passion for the WFO.