Old 05-16-2006, 05:55 AM
Serf

Default dome rings combining with chimney brick

we have started laying the first layers of the dome and have choosen to build the chiminey with an arch design. for the layers of brick that intersect with the chimney bricks, is it best to custom cut each of these bricks to fit in line with the dome? or is it best to build the dome separate from the chimney? the degree of tilt of the chimney arch and the cooking dome are different and prove to be a little difficult in lining them up without doing some custom work.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Serf

Default Just a Quick Hello

Just wanted to nip in after joining and say hi to everyone on the board. - Look forward to reading the conversations here!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Default Re: dome rings combining with chimney brick

Quote:
Is it best to custom cut each of these bricks to fit in line with the dome?
You can do this either way. You may get a better fit if you match each corner brick, but the easiest way is to build the entry arch first, then butt the bricks of the dome up against the arch. In either case, it's near impossible to get a Guastavino-like intersection between the two, and you will end up with some mortar filled gaps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
In either case, it's near impossible to get a Guastavino-like intersection between the two, and you will end up with some mortar filled gaps.
Dmun,
It probably took me longer to complete my dome-to-arch transition than it took Guastavino to complete the Queensboro Bridge Bridgemarket in your photo!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/pi...d-7155-10.html (Pizza Bob's 42" Build)

~Bob

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It was the arch first for me. Just take your time, do your best and re-cut if you need to. The structural integrity is what you’re after.

Remember, that when it's finished nobody will see this area and I've heard no one say that it affects the taste of the pizza one way or the other.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 12-23-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: dome rings combining with chimney brick

Hi smithgardens,

Quote:
for the layers of brick that intersect with the chimney bricks, is it best to custom cut each of these bricks to fit in line with the dome? or is it best to build the dome separate from the chimney?
With my build, I first built the face arch and chimney void and then lastly the Pompeii dome. This was much easier this way because you already had a very solid face to cut the chamfer (on the back of the actual oven entrance bricks) with an angle grinder and then cut your dome course bricks to lay neatly up against the chamfered transition line. It provides a much easier transition and also stronger that merely a vertical join.

Neill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Transition brickwork.pdf (7.7 KB, 346 views)

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway