Old 12-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Serf

Default DIY fireproof mortar question

I have a (i think) unique situation. I live in the Philippines in a somewhat remote spot and i am hoping to build an oven as this is the only chance i have of ever eating decent pizza where i live ;-)

The trouble i am running into is getting hold of the materials. I think (i stress think) i can get fire bricks but getting hold of refractory mortar or any kind of cement that is fireproof to build the oven is a problem.

The question i have is:

1. Does anyone have a recipe for a mortar made up from portland cement and then other ingredients that will hold together the fire bricks.

2. If the source for these fire bricks turns out to be bogus, what other simple and third world available material can i use to build the oven?

Thanks in advance for the help...

Bill
Old 12-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: DIY fireproof mortar question

There is a way to make a refactory mix using portland, fireclay, sand and lime but i have no idea of the quantities but i am sure if you search the site something will turn up.

If you can't get fire bricks you can also use solid red clay bricks - not sure what are usually called but in oz they are generally refered to as aussie reds.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Journeyman

The mix is one part fireclay, one part portland cement, one part lime and three parts sand. I used it today for the first time and it worked well.

Mark
Old 12-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by billten View Post

1. Does anyone have a recipe for a mortar made up from portland cement and then other ingredients that will hold together the fire bricks.

2. If the source for these fire bricks turns out to be bogus, what other simple and third world available material can i use to build the oven?

Bill
Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum..

Forno Bravo has a plan set that provides detail on constructing an oven, and discusses optional ways to 'get the job done'. 'Home brew' high heat mortar is one of the options detailed.. On page 67 of the plans book - available at this address - eBooks & CD ROMs :: Forno Bravo Store - they detail the home brew mortar that exceloven has mentioned. I used the same mortar mix on my oven and have been satisfied with the results. It works fine.

And if you can't find fire brick, I have seen pictures of ovens built with standard 'clay fired' brick that work fine. The standard clay brick will not tolerate the heat as well as a fire brick so it will 'spall' and deteriorate faster than a fire brick. Fire brick is the best choice of material, but other materials can be used with various degree's of success.

Good luck with your build. We have the good fortune of hearing from people from all over the world who have successfully met the demands of building fine ovens in area's that do not have the same materials available as we see in the States. It can be done!

Keep us posted with pictures!

JED
Old 12-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by billten View Post

Thanks in advance for the help...

Bill
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/...edux-2885.html (Cob Ovens Redux)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/muds-ovens-4042.html (Muds ovens)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/h...exas-3397.html (Hello from Texas)

Hi,

If brick doesn't work out there is a readily available Third World alternative, mud. The thread linked above all deal with clay/mud/cob ovens. They're all the same it's just different names for them. As soon as I have a place of my own I'm planning on building a cob oven.

From what I've read, and what other people have said, spalling seems to be more related to regular brick than it is to cob. That makes sense - you're essentially re-firing the brick when you're using already fired brick. Any moisture still in the brick is going to push against the crust when it becomes steam. Cob, on the other hand is essentially fired in place.

Anyway, hope everything works out for you.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 12-14-2008, 02:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you can chase up the bricks, this thread on an alternate kind of mortar might be of some use to you... it certainly seems to be working out very well so far. dvonk built his oven with the same stuff.

If not, then I also think a mud oven could be a good idea. I think they're pretty cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Serf

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. You guys are a font of information.

I will definitely give the mortar a try, it looks good if i can get hold of the bricks.

Is there anything commonly available to use instead of perlite or vermiculite?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Master Builder

Perlite or vermiculite alternatives - depends on where you want to use them....

for the Floor - there are Ceramic insulating boards - for the dome there are ceramic insulating blankets - examples of both are sold in the Forno Bravo store.

As far as sourcing in Toronto area - Green house supply houses should be able to supply you with vermiculite or perlite if you are having trouble finding it. - I was a greenhouse worker in a previous life in Michigan...

There has been talk about using pumice but I don't think we have any first hand reports on success in sourcing or using.

Good luck and take time to enjoy the journey!

Christo

Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Apprentice

I've also heard that sand does a decent insulation job. the mortar mix works great.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Apprentice

not sure how sand would go as an insulator but it would be a pain if you had a crack in your oven somewhere cause it would slowly leak out