Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Peasant

Default Dismantleling oven and rebuilding

Hi All,

After years of great service from my first built 47 inch (int) low vault dome, I sadly have to move house. Although I originally built my oven so that it could be moved (with the help of a big flat bed truck and a forklift) I'm thinking that I may consider breaking up my oven (shock horror, I know) and using the bricks to rebuild a slightly smaller oven at my new place. 47 inches takes a fair while and fair amount of wood to get to temp. Bigger, is not necessarily always better it seems!

So does anyone have any advice, or done anything similar, reusing the bricks? I'm pretty much thinking the bricks will be the only part I can reuse, but if anyone begs to differ, let me know. One advantage is they were all cut in half for my first build, so hopefully not much cutting will be needed come reconstruction.

Any advice would be great,

Nicko
Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dismantleling oven and rebuilding

Gudday nicko
Recon you better post plenty of pics you don't see an oven "destructed" to often.
Got your old trowel still? Its gunna be your best friend again...not for contruction but to clean mortar off the bricks. Ive done it before there no easy way to explain it you use the edge of the trowel and strike the egde of the mortar and when you practiced it will flick of real easy without damaging the brick.
Suggest you get a number of trowels and gather up all the pizza eating friends ....Time to pay back for the pizzas I recon

Regards Dave
Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maybe the new owner will value (and pay for) your existing oven where it is.

Use the cash to buy more bricks, and save yourself the demolition labour.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wasn't happy with my first soldier course so after some deliberation, took it apart and recontructed using horizontal courses from the floor up. Upon 'deconstruction', some of the mortar could be knocked off easily with a hammer. The remaining stubborn bits could be removed using an angle grinder and came off like butter. The real downside? The mortar dust! Use a respirator whatever you do!
John
Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
Maybe the new owner will value (and pay for) your existing oven where it is.

Use the cash to buy more bricks, and save yourself the demolition labour.
That is a very good point...after building mine a real estate friend told me that a wfo would add about $10,000 to a properties value in our local area

regards dave
Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Peasant

Thanks for all the input guys, unfortunately I am renting from a friend here, so now real added value to be had as if I was selling the house. I built the oven to be moved, and have been looking at forklifts to hire etc, and am quite excited about the prospect of doing so, after all, I put alot of time and effort into designing andbuilding it that way, why not do so.

In terms of size, I'm thinking of possibly knocking off the old render and vermiculite concrete, stripping it back to the blanket,and adding more blanket, to cut down on the extra size. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how many layers of insulating blanket would be equal to the 4 inches or so of vermiculite concrete?

I'm also planning trimming the excess of the old foundation slab, again to reduce size. I'm planning a new base to be somewhat circular, so imagine putting a square on a circle, and trimming off the overhang. Looks like I may have to add a demo saw to my arsenal

If I do decide to move it, expect plenty of pictures, it's going to be a real convoy!

Nicko
Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
That is a very good point...after building mine a real estate friend told me that a wfo would add about $10,000 to a properties value in our local area

regards dave
Thats a whole lot different to what we were told when we had a valuation done just a few months ago, the agent told me my new oven added nothing and was probably a liability..

I of course know differently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Dismantleling oven and rebuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Thats a whole lot different to what we were told when we had a valuation done just a few months ago, the agent told me my new oven added nothing and was probably a liability..

I of course know differently.
Be sure to tell that to the Tax man when he comes to your door Al. You can't hide anything from the satellite pictures they use locally.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They dont tax you on your primary place of residence here.