Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Serf

Default CVB Oven Build

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a while in the forum, admiring all of your hard work and craftsmanship and have taken the plunge.

I started on 3/20 by confirming the site and excavating for the foundation.

After digging down between 8 and 14 inches I hit a solid sandstone boulder.
Attached Thumbnails
CVB Oven Build-dsc_5647.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5650.jpg  
Old 03-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Serf

Default Re: CVB Oven Build

On 3/21 built the form; just placed the 2x4s holding the form in place directly on the sandstone. Also added to the mountain of quikcrete in the garage.

For comparison I called a local cement company about a truck. It's $260 for the yard (I estimated needed 0.75) and they allot 10 minutes to unload with $2 minute beyond the 10. Decided hand mixing might not be so bad.
Attached Thumbnails
CVB Oven Build-dsc_5656.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5654.jpg  
Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

$260 a yard seems a little expensive. Do you have a United rental near you? They will let you drive off with a yard of mud for less than $100.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

yea, hand mixing sucks, but half the battle is getting the multiple bags home...looks like you did that already...ah but I see it is on a pallette, maybe it was delivered?

Good luck and get some help!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
yea, hand mixing sucks, but half the battle is getting the multiple bags home...looks like you did that already...ah but I see it is on a pallette, maybe it was delivered?
Yep, that was four stops after work to pick up those 45 bags and unload them into the garage. I had the pallette handy to keep them off the floor.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Serf

It took 2200 lbs of #57 to fill from the sandstone to the base of the forms; Filled that in, placed rebar and plastic.

I was fortunate that a neighbor came to help and we setup two wheelbarrows to pour the pad. Got the job done in 1:15 and don't feel overly tired. Hand mixing one bag of quikrete with a hoe is not so bad. Not sure how to do the hearth base, maybe pull the pickup truck in the back yard and put the wheelbarrow in it.
Attached Thumbnails
CVB Oven Build-pad.jpg  
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb922 View Post
Not sure how to do the hearth base, maybe pull the pickup truck in the back yard and put the wheelbarrow in it.
Here in Louisville, there's an outfit called "Mini-Mix". They have a fleet of small mixer trucks (big Ford pickups with mixers on them). They hold 1 or 2 yards of concrete and will drive on your lawn right to the worksite (terrain permitting).

Many larger cities have this type of service. Check the concrete section of your yellow pages. For both of my pours, the drivers were extremely friendly and helpful (they are used to working with amateurs!)

Cost was very reasonable (compared to potential damage to my back!).

Updated!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Serf

Default Stand Progress

Set the stand in place after a little leveling with mortar for the first course. A neighbor and his son helped so it went very quickly; used 12 bags of quickrete to fill the alternate cores. All of the corners and the opening cores are filled.
Attached Thumbnails
CVB Oven Build-dsc_5669.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5670.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Serf

Default Inner Arch layout

I made a cardboard pattern for the base of the oven and set the floor and soldier course. I went with 1/2 bricks on edge resting on the floor since my tile saw is the $79 workmate version. I already had it and couldn't justify another wet-saw in the house so I have to make two passes for each cut and a nice round cut is out of the question.

Anyhow, I have a question on if I should cut the base block of the inner arch or fit the soldier course around it. In the first picture (left side arch base) I'm thinking I will remove section "A" to slide a dome brick in and leave section B

In the second picture (right side arch base) I'm not planning on removing any of the arch brick and will place triangular pieces in the void where the soldier brick would go.

Am I on the right track here?
Attached Thumbnails
CVB Oven Build-dsc_5685.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5686.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Serf

Default Hearth Pour

Had a great couple of weather days here in NE Ohio and I was able to get the hearth poured. Letting it cure for a bit with some plastic over it.

Next will be a 2 1/2 perlcrete insulating layer upon which the FB Board will rest.
Attached Thumbnails
CVB Oven Build-dsc_5694.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5695.jpg  

Last edited by jlb922; 04-04-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: forgot word - "weather"