Old 02-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Apprentice

Default Cutting the fire brick

Ok now I am getting nervous and confused AGAIN. I will start phase 3 of my build hopfully in 3 weeks when I get home. (For a detail of the phases go to the thread One small step for pizza)
Now for my questions:
1. I plan on cutting my fire brick to form the dome angle rather then utilize the wedges suggested in the forno bravo plans. My thought that this will allow me to use less mortar and if cut correctily get a much tighter fit. I see that this is what Dino has done.

2. Also cutting the brick to form the dome, I was thinkig of cutting the brick in each of the chain(s) again thinking it will be a much tighter fit.
2a. Am I creating more work then is necessary?
2b. I am going to start to lay this out but from what I am thinking this angle should be a constant, correct?

Looking forward to some great guidance here.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cutting the fire brick

Are you referring to the angle from front to back or the sides (or both)? The angle will be a constant but as you climb in height, the wedges become smaller. I didn't use a jig and found it very difficult to hold the bricks at around the 7th or 8th chain. At the top, the pieces will only be around 3/4 of an inch thick. It is a lot of work but you will save on mortar as well as having a clean looking interior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Apprentice

The angle that in my mind should be a constant is the angle for the chain or on the sides.
Not the angle on the top that forms the dome
Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Apprentice

Oh and Les I for got to mention that I really admire your setup of your with the grill. So far I have been "stealing" designs from all of you on this forum. So far my oven will be a combination of brick, stone stucco, tile and mud! And it will be an igloo and a box frame and will have a roof and no roof!
This is why I need to start and quit thinking about it!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's all a constant. As I said, as you get higher the diameter is getting smaller so the bricks will get smaller in width (if you want to stay off bond - highly recommended). And thanks for the kind words.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.