Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Laborer

Default Custom metal stand for WFO

Hi,
I am in the planning stages of building a low dome 36 inch oven. I need to build this on a metal stand with heavy duty casters like the mobile Stefano Ferrara ovens.

I am looking for advice and input on the design of it. Not so much worried about the dimensions, I could figure that out, but was wondering how to layout the top of the stand where I will be putting in about a 4 inch cement hearth. Should the stand have a metal pan with a lip? Should it have some cross beams and I could build a form with rebar and pour it on top of the beams? I don't have a clue. Any advice for this would be great. I can't start the build until I figure out the stand.

Thanks,

Scott D.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom metal stand for WFO-hand_made_mobile_brick_ovens_4.gif  
Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Custom metal stand for WFO

anybody???
Old 02-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Apprentice

I have one currently being welded up this weekend so if you can wait a few days ill post pics for you asap.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Laborer

Chidding,
Sounds good. I can't wait to see it. How big of oven do you plan on building?
Scott
Old 02-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Apprentice

To be honest i have no specific size yet, i have made the stand to fit into an area in my patio and will be going with the flow rather than via a guide.
Im not one for following instructions.. which may be my downfall but i prefer to go it alone.

will be starting a thread once its started!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Journeyman

Why is the concrete slab necessary? The point is to have something rigid and sound enough to support the weight of the oven. I'm not a structural engineer, but if you're going to go the steel stand route, I'm pretty sure you could achieve the same degree of rigidity with angle iron and steel plate and forgo the slab entirely.

Anyway, to answer your question, a slab would need to be supported around the perimeter (or at least three sides) Beyond making sure you have a good few inches--say 3 to 4--of bearing at the edges and that your stand is absolutely rigid, the slab isn't going to care what's holding it up, KWIM? You would just follow the rebar schedule as outlined in the plans at that point, which gets you a structural "bridge" slab.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Journeyman

what she said...

do you have an idea or plans on what the main structure is going to look like? or are you going to wing it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Laborer

I have been researching a little more and have come up with a way I think i could do this. I reviewed the slide show on the Forno Bravo site that shows the build of the Modena assembly. I figure I could use a steel plate and just put insulation board on it like they did. The only issue i have is that I want to be able to screw a metal track down and build my enclosure with steel studs and cement board. I was thinking i could put about a 6 inch perimeter of concrete on the steel pan and the fill the center with insulation board. They would both be 4 inches thick. What do you think? How thick should the steel pan be? The shape of the stand would be an octagon. What do you think about this idea? I will try to upload a crude drawing that I have done, it does not show the concrete perimeter. Thanks,

Scott D
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Laborer

Here is a drawing.

Scott D.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom metal stand for WFO-scan-2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Journeyman

So you want to pour concrete to give yourself something to attach steel studs to? Mmmm, no. You can attach them to steel just as easily. You have zero need for concrete.

WRT your second idea of the concrete perimeter and filling it with insulation board, as was pointed out on another thread, it's a bad idea to create anything that could hold water down the road. Besides the fact that the concrete element is entirely unnecessary as per above.

I don't have the answer on the steel sheet. It will depend in part on what the support structure below looks like.