Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Apprentice

Default Cultured stone and Hardie backer

Does anyone know the approved method for attaching cultured stone to hardie backer? I can't seem to find any info on the web, other than some say lath, others disagree; some say mortar (type S), others say thinset. As always, any help is appreciated.

gene
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cultured stone and Hardie backer

Thinset is the best way. A polymer modified one at that. It will cost about 5x what Type S will but is a small cost in the overall project and well worth it.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Tscarborough. Do you forsee problems with the thinset being applied at about a half inch or so with the back-buttering? As I recall it is usually applied a bit thinner than that for best performance.

Thanks,

gene
Old 09-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Journeyman

Since we are on the topic of hardibaker & veneer. I am using a dry stack look with tumbled bricks. So far I have used S motart on cement blocks with some tabs inserted in the cement blocks. I am about to start steel studs and cement board. Can I still use S mortar or do I need to switch to a thin set??? This will also affect wall placement due to the difference in thickness of S mortar vs thinset. Any help as always is Greatly Appreciated.
Thanks
John

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Cultured stone and Hardie backer

I saw a polymerized mortar for brick veneers at Lowes last week for $9 a bag. It was recommended for exterior walls and floors.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoose View Post
Thanks Tscarborough. Do you forsee problems with the thinset being applied at about a half inch or so with the back-buttering? As I recall it is usually applied a bit thinner than that for best performance.

Thanks,

gene
Depth of the mortar bed depends on the thing you're setting. Half an inch is standard for setting natural stone tile on a wall or floor with polymerized thinset, while you can get away with a quarter inch on ceramic or porcelain (one reason installing stone costs more--twice the mud) I have 200 feet of slate tile hanging on a wall at my office, and we put it up with a half inch trowel and back buttering. I've also put up slate ledgerstone with half an inch on the board and buttering the back with more.