Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Apprentice

Default concrete mix

I think I might hire a guy to come with the concrete, then help me pour the hearth slab and level it. My back just won't take doing it myself, and my car can't tow ready mix. When he built my front steps, he mixed his own concrete, so I think he might do the same for the slab. Anything I should specify to make sure he's making a quality concrete mix?

Thanks for all the info and support lately. It's a huge help to a newbie like me. Though my build isn't winning awards for being pretty, I think it's all within very tolerable limits, and will make delicious pizza. And roasts, and bread...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: concrete mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkramer View Post
Anything I should specify to make sure he's making a quality concrete mix?
Tell him you want 5 sack - it's not over kill and will definitely work for this project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Whats 5 sack?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Whats 5 sack?
Sack Mix - The amount of sacks of cement in a cubic yard of concrete. Specified when ordering, concrete is typically referred to as 5 sack mix (or 5.5 sack, 6 sack, etc.) The sacks on cement needed in a mix are usually specified in either the plans or the specifications of a project. More sacks = more strength.

Standard Sack in US is 94 pounds.

Chip
Old 10-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK.
They use Mpa here, its stands for Mega-pascals the higher the Mpa the stronger the mix, its all about the resistance to crushing.

Its all about the metric system, some of which I still dont understand..... as I was brought up in the imperial system.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: concrete mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
All you have to know about the metric system in Oz is that, even though it has been law since 1974 or maybe 1976, you still struggle to find a metric bolt at the hardware store when you need one
Maybe that's because you live in South Australia where they're struggling to make it to the 20th century.