Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Peasant

Default Concrete Foundation Base Cracked...Damn it!

Hey everyone,

I made the mistake of having a landscape contractor pour my foundation base. I told them i needed to be deep enough to endure the freezing here in MA.

I dont think they went down even 4" now a have huge crack right thru the middle...and my oven is already built!

Help! i dont want all this blood, sweat and tears to crumble to the ground.

Photo attached ( crack is in red box area)

Any advice on how to remedy the problem? Someone had suggested to dig all around the foundation and install foam insulation to help with the frost issue.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete Foundation Base Cracked...Damn it!-cracked-foundation.jpg.jpg  
Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Concrete Foundation Base Cracked...Damn it!

The best thing to do is watch it for growth and not do anything you don't need to...or that won't help. Give it a month or so, unless it starts opening up fast. Measure it now and in a few weeks, that will give you an idea of what's going on.

And it's a little late now, but most landscapers do not have structural masonry knowledge. Shoot, a lot of masons have no clue about structural masonry.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Peasant

Yea, i know...newbie mistake. Should have just done it myself. Landscaper was installing patio block for me and i had them just do it at that time. Lesson learned.

Do you think digging around it an putting insulation in will help from futher movement (ie frost heaving)?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nope......

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Journeyman

I agree...insulation will do nothing. Insulation simply slows the transfer of heat from one side to the other. Once your ground freezes, it will heave.

Personal opinion, I think your oven should be okay, as long as you have a thick reinforced concrete slab at the base of your oven.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Apprentice

No sweat. Just seal the crack and do what you can to keep water off of it. I don't know what you have underneath or within the slab itself but there isn't much you can do about it now.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

AT, I'm not dogging you, so nothing personal...but you don't want to seal a crack unless you are positive it won't expand. He needs to monitor this thing to figure out the next step. Agree on keeping it dry as you can, water under any slab isn't good.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Laborer

The area appears very wet I suggest that you drill into the lowest course of blocks epoxy in some starter bars say every 8 inches , tie in anew reinforcing and pour an additional 4 inches or more of concrete. This will raise the area out oof the moisture and tie the base of the oven resisting differential movement. Make sure you put some plastic over the existing slab to prevent the two sticking together and transferring the crack
A6 or 8 inch slab would be better
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomulla View Post
The area appears very wet I suggest that you drill into the lowest course of blocks epoxy in some starter bars say every 8 inches , tie in anew reinforcing and pour an additional 4 inches or more of concrete. This will raise the area out oof the moisture and tie the base of the oven resisting differential movement. Make sure you put some plastic over the existing slab to prevent the two sticking together and transferring the crack
A6 or 8 inch slab would be better
What???!! Why in the world would you want to pour another slab over another that may have a bad base? Answer...you don't. And further, an isolation membrane won't stop the new slab from cracking if he anchors it to the existing stand, and that keeps settling...if that's what's happening.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Journeyman

One thing you can do, is to try to prevent it from happening again next winter. What's done is done. I agree w/Stonecutter w/the sealing of the crack. For now. As for insulation, you can buy Dow blueboard styrofoam (or another brand) insulation at any big box store. I believe it comes in up to 2" thick. Double it up if you have to. As funny as it may look, if all else fails, buy enough to lay on the ground and weight it down. I can virtually guarantee it will keep the ground around your slab from freezing. Agree, once it's frozen, there is not much to do. Just wait a bit on sealing the crack and make a plan to stop it from happening again and in the future. I've seen firsthand what frost can do. And yes, there are things you can do to minimize the chance of it happening again. The north side is almost always the one to watch.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra