Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Laborer

Default Chimney Question

I found chimney pipe that somebody removed a wood stove and wants to get rid of. Will this work? This is all the info I have.

I have 2 sections of stainless steel insulted stove pipe. 30 inches long 8 inch INSIDE DIAMETER. Also cap and cone that sits on the roof. Took out wood stove and no longer need it. Its in really good shape. I can't find any markings on the pipe. I purchased it from some place that deals with insulated pipe and stuff. I don't remember the name, however, this was/is the best that you could buy. I just want rid of it

Thoughts? I can get it for $100.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Chimney Question

You better jump on it, quick
EDIT: Sorry
I misread the post. Someone in your area who can pick it up locally needs to jump on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 05-31-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Misread post
Old 05-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Laborer

So this one should work okay? Just want to make ste before I purchase. Thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlebla View Post
So this one should work okay? Just want to make ste before I purchase. Thanks
2 layers of insulated SS with the caps etc. would probably be a great deal for that price. As long as you are not bound by a fire code which may stipulate 3 layers. (Depending on the application)

Old 05-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Laborer

I had talked to the building dept last fall, I haven't started my oven yet. At that time the inspector told me it was just a general permit needed and there were no real requirements as I had lots of questions. I have been looking on Craigslist and have sourced lots of materials for free or very cheap. I have been looking for a god deal on the chimney as I like that style best and finally found this one. I just wanted to check to make sure this would be acceptable as I know absolutely nothing about chimneys. Thanks for the quick reply, since it looks like this will work I'm going to email him right now. Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think you will be all right. As for as "depending on the application" is conserned as long as you are not building inside your home or something attached to it. That is where building codes get real sticky, for a real good reason though .

Old 05-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Laborer

No the oven will not be part of my house. It's going to be out in the backyard, which will be good as it will keep me out of the house and away from the wife....
Old 05-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I bought one section of 8" double wall SS double wall and the cap for 60 bucks (from a local salvage store) and just thought that I got a great deal. I haven't totally ruled out using it if I need to extend my chimney in the future, but it is on stand by if I need it. I want try to give a value of the 2 sections and cap that you purchased but the only local source which I priced was 250 bucks per section of 3 wall. I think that you are getting a good deal.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If they have an anchor plate with it. Grab it. Cost about $40 to buy one.

Russell
Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Laborer

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I just sent him an email and am waiting to see if he still has it. Fingers crossed.