Old 07-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Serf

Default cast lintel question......

Hello,

What is the best type of concrete to use for casting the lintel? I am going with a round stainless chimney (which has a 14" anchor plate), do I need to/can I mix with perlite to make , percrete (gotta love this new lingo, lol!) My oven is for use in a commercial setting (French Café) in Niagara Falls, Canada.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who gave me such great advice on building my oven, and I will upload some pics when I dump all my pics onto the puter (this weekend I think
Cheers,
Rick
Old 07-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: cast lintel question......

Well first off I am no expert and have only used one brand. OK disclaimer out of the way.

I used KS-4 reinforced with stainless needles to cast a vent transition. Found it easy and forgiving to work with and very dense and hard when set. I have only 5 high temp firings to date, but it is holding up fine, looks good as new.

Another used a different product to cast the entire oven. Can find that here;
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...html#post12234 (Casting Refractory - This is NOT a drill!)

If you are going to cast, you might think about casting more than the lintel. Maybe lintel and vent. If I were to do mine again, I would cast the arch opening and vent in one piece.