Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Laborer

Default Can i use just blanket for dome insulation.

I have bought a 7.3 metre roll of 600 wide by 25mm thick superwool insulation for the dome. Would three layers of this on the dome be enough insulation. I plan on stacking bluestone leaf on the exterior with mortar on the inside to bond the stone and weatherproof it.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Can i use just blanket for dome insulation.

Three inches of the blanket should be fine. We look forward to seeing pictures of your bluestone structure...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Good plan 3G. In fact, FB is about to start recommending 3" of blanket for all installations, and the Pompeii Kit comes with 3" of blanket.

Ceramic blanket insulation works better, it's easier to transport and install, and the prices having come down to where 2" doesn't even cost more than 4" of vermiculite. It's the modern world. :-)

If you have any extra, use it on top. And make sure you overlap the seams.

Enjoy!
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Laborer

Thanks guys. Ill go with the 3 layers of blanket for the dome and vermiculite for the base.
Cheers
Old 09-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Apprentice

I just covered my dome and used 4" on top and 2" on the sides of the 6# ceramic blanket. It seems to be working really well. The temps stay high and no rise in outside temperature.

Just for info sake, I set my hearth bricks on 1" SuperIsol board on top of 3 1/2" of perlite crete and the bottom of the structural pour underneath reads 110-120 degrees after pizza fire. I think it would be best to go with at least 2" of SuperIsol board.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3G_ View Post
I have bought a 7.3 metre roll of 600 wide by 25mm thick superwool insulation for the dome. Would three layers of this on the dome be enough insulation. I plan on stacking bluestone leaf on the exterior with mortar on the inside to bond the stone and weatherproof it.
I'm looking for some small pieces of Superwool. I see that you purchased some to use in your oven. Do you have any scraps that you would be willing to sell? I don't need much and do not want to buy an entire roll. Thanks.