Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Apprentice

Default Brick Chimney Flashing?

I am hoping to top out my chimney this weekend on my backyard WFO project. (Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions)
I am using 8x17 clay flue liner cut down to make an (almost) round flue liner surrounded by pearlcrete and bricks.

My roof deck is 1x6 rustic v-groove boards which will be covered in a mineral roofing paper and eventually some sort of corrugated metal panels - either galvanized or corten.
  1. How do I flash between the brick chimney and the roof decking/mineral paper? (until I decide and get the final corrugated material)
  2. How do I flash from the chimney and the corrugated roofing material?
  3. Does anyone have some photos of a similar situation?
Thanks for any help, Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Brick Chimney Flashing?

Standard step flashing, I have some pics I can post tonight, but just google, "step flashing detail".
Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here you go:
Attached Thumbnails
Brick Chimney Flashing?-step-flashing-2.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Here you go:
Tscar, thanks for the reply and snapshot.

I know about step flashing with shingles, but I am not using shingles I will be using (eventually) corrugated sheetmetal.

Until I get the sheetmetal it will just be rolled mineral roofing.

Also, for the counterflashing, do you just cut it in after the chimney is completed like we used to do on reroofs (a long long long time ago for me!)

Thanks again, Eric.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, just cut it in. I rolled the metal roof up an inch all the way around the chimney instead of stepping it, then counter flashed as shown. I also caulked well.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 11-01-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Laborer

And for caulking use something like "Through the Roof" elastomeric caulk. It's GREAT, doesn't dry out, shrink, crack -- will be there for 20+ years without a leak. Compared to other caulk it's a bit pricy, but hey, you'll probably only need one tube, so go for it.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry about this late repy. It may be a little late to offer a suggestion. I was out of town last week with no internet.

I made a two piece type of counter flashing and layed the drip edge in with the courses as I went through the roof. If you lay the drip edge into the brick, you can temporarily cut the height of your flashing to lay flat against the decking. (The top edge of the flashing slips under the drip edge) When you come back and install the metal, you can simply cut the top edge to allow for the metal and then permanently install.
I have always used this method because it made the initial flashing easier and years later it makes reroofing a snap.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q...Oven/00125.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q.../Oven/0135.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q...Oven/00225.jpg

Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
..I made a two piece type of counter flashing and layed the drip edge in with the courses as I went through the roof. If you lay the drip edge into the brick, you can temporarily cut the height of your flashing to lay flat against the decking. (The top edge of the flashing slips under the drip edge) When you come back and install the metal, you can simply cut the top edge to allow for the metal and then permanently install.
I have always used this method because it made the initial flashing easier and years later it makes reroofing a snap.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q...Oven/00125.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q.../Oven/0135.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q...Oven/00225.jpg
Gulf,

Thanks, those photos help a bunch, and no it definately is not too late as I wont be back on the project until tomorrow (Saturday) it is supposed to maybe hit 80 degrees!!! So no excuses on my side.

Eric.