Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Apprentice

Default block fill alternatives

Hey guys,

So I've read the FB construction guide and they use the empty pre-mix concrete bags to fill the blocks that are not being filled with concrete.

I am getting my concrete delivered so I don't have anything in large enough quantity that can fill the blocks.
Is there something cheap and light that I can buy that will suit?
I am guessing scrunched up newspaper won't be strong enough to hold back the concrete?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: block fill alternatives

Gudday
Beer cartons and empties.......
Worked for me

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Apprentice

heh yeah but I don't think I have enough to fill all those blocks by Monday when the concrete arrives:S
Old 02-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: block fill alternatives

G'day
And you going to do the pour by yourself. Time to get some help .... And that might mean a few beers
Regards Dave
All jokes aside raid the local shops for some cardboard cartons, they'll do the job.

My Build

My Door

Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 AM
Apprentice

Heh yeah I've got my mum and sister helping. Just need to barrow it over and then bucket it into the form.
Trying to scrounge up what cardboard I can.

I am guessing that I should crumple the cardboard up to fill as much space as possible?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Roll up a 1/2 carton it will jam a tube up some crumpled on the top.
The cement bags are great as there sturdy when wet so a couple of plastic bags to protect the cardboard.
If you bucketing into the form a strong step up will help. A couple of blocks with a strong plank on the top. It's easier to pour below the waist height than above that.
Prepare early and check the run from the truck to the site. Fill any hollows and take out any bumps. And don't forget to pump up the barrow tires!
Good luck
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-19-2014, 02:54 AM
Master Builder

Styrofoam from the electrical good retailers works and the flexible plastic tubs from Bunnys are good things to pour concrete into holes with. Just put in what you can lift without popping a hernia and hold the handles together, pours a treat.

Good luck with the job. The fun starts about .............. now.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 AM
Master Builder

Dave - You are morphing........... they are TYRES here!!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 02-19-2014, 03:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Dave - You are morphing........... they are TYRES here!!
G'day
Not morphing.... Speel check or predictive text... Same thing
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 AM
Master Builder

No sweat Dave. Hard to resist some times and the respect is there.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics