Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Laborer

Default Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

I have lurked here for a couple of years, and just recently started asking some questions, and I started my build a month ago. I feel that I have made good progress. I think I have attached a couple photos from last month.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-01-hole.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-02-base-form.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-03-base-slab.jpg  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Good my photos attached. I'll post a few more. These are from the weekend of Sept 7. This is not the interesting part of the build, but I thought I might as well start at the beginning.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-04-stand.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-05-hearth-slab-form.jpg  
Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Bob

Thanks for posting and congrats on the base. Nice looking arch on the base too.

Texman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Apprentice

Hi Bob, Looks good so far.... One thing I have noticed. Most people start a build, and and then fight the weather....me included. With fall, and rain coming, I would sugest you think about a roof over your build....before the " my insulation got wet, or its been raining for days and I".....I really hated fooling with tarps" Just a thought....4 posts and some barn tin ...Where are you at? I am between the Bostons and the Ouachita's . Not many Ozarkers on the forum...
Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Laborer

Truman, thanks for the complement on the arch. My plan is to cover the base with a stone veneer hopefully I can do that and accent the arch with the stones.
Thickstrings, I'm sure the weather will interfere with my building plans. My main passion is designing and building furniture. If I can not work outside on my oven I will spend the time in my shop until the weather gets agreeable. I always have more than one project going. Your right I haven't seen many Ozarkers on the forum. I am located just outside of Springfield, MO.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Apprentice

Bob, from the looks of your progress, you just might be done by winter.....been through Springfield about a million times on my way, or back north...nice country up there....plenty of natural resources for wooden furniture, and scraps for the oven...I've made a few guitars, and a few rifle stocks. I'd liked to try my hand at furniture. I admire this guys work...... Kerry Vesper Sculpture & Design Studio
Old 09-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Laborer

I'm trying to get caught up on posting photos of my progress. Here are a few more pics. I liked the idea of using cement board under the hearth slab, I read that on somebody's thread. I think it is a little less messing around than trying to fit a plywood sheet inside the base to be removed at a later date. I made my slab 1/2" thicker to account for the 1/2" cement board. I did use some shoring under the cement board just to be sure. I don't know if I needed it or not, but it was just a few 2x4 pieces. The weather has been perfect here for working outside so my wife and I have been making good progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-06-hearth-form-rebar-cement-board.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-07-hearth-bricks.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-08-first-course.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Laborer

Thickstrings,
That guy does some interesting studio work. Here is my last project in the style of Greene and Greene. Not one of my original designs a take off from a photo I found online.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-28-finished.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bob,

Nice start. Just a tip, run a strip of blue tape or duct tape between the floor and your first course. This will keep mortar from dropping down the gap and minimize potential cracking from mortar that fills up your expansion gap.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Laborer

UtahBeehiver,
Thank you for the reminder. I read somewhere on the forum that someone used strips of cardboard to fill the space. That seemed like a good idea as they could just be left in place, and will burn up at some point. That's what I did, I had plenty of cardboard from the insulation board shipping box. I need to lay some of it on the hearth floor too. So far I haven't had any issues with spilled mortar, but as my bricks get more vertical I'm expecting to make more of a mess.

I should be giving credit to the people who posted the ideas that I am using, but I have done so much reading on this forum that I can't remember who posted what.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-09-.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-10-second-course-.jpg  
merk likes this.