Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Apprentice

Default Ash dump installs

Hello pizza people , has anyone installed an ash dump in their firebrick floor? I realize there is going to be heat lose coupled with the fact ,it would need to be placed out of the way of both fire and cooking area. Just seems like the space below could be partitioned off, 8 in. block, and you would have a ash pit, wood box combo. Wondering really about the heat loss this would cause? Would leave a brick out for a hole to sweep ashes into. Hole would be covered when cooking. Also this hole could be used for additional "fresh air" to stoke the fire as in fireplaces I have built. Any thoughts would be great.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Ash dump installs

I came across a WFO plan just the other day that incorporates a slot to scrape ashes, etc. into. It is located outside of the oven, behind where the door is located, so I don't think it would interfere w/either fresh air intake or heat loss. It also suggests making a cover for it when not in use. The cleanout for the ashes is actually on the side of the foundation, which I thought was a plus. If you want info, I could email you what info I have. I think it's a neat idea, but certainly not a necessity, rather a feature of convenience for the user. I plan to use it when I start my WFO soon.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Serf

Could I get in on that too? I've been throwing that idea around too. It would be nice to see how it has been done. I like the idea of the cleanout being on the side too. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromseptember View Post
Could I get in on that too? I've been throwing that idea around too. It would be nice to see how it has been done. I like the idea of the cleanout being on the side too. Thanks!
Sure. Just PM me your email and I'll send you a couple pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 02-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've never bothered with an ovens I have built, mainly because they run so hot they clean themselves. I started using my oven in July and haven't had to remove ashes yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Journeyman

As I am still learning about WFO's, I am under the impression that some people desire them for cleaning out hot embers, etc., in preparation to cook things such as bread. As I said, still reading and learning here. As of right now, I still plan on installing one.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
As I am still learning about WFO's, I am under the impression that some people desire them for cleaning out hot embers, etc., in preparation to cook things such as bread. As I said, still reading and learning here. As of right now, I still plan on installing one.
Not sayin you shouldn't, but a metal bucket does the same job.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I've never bothered with an ovens I have built, mainly because they run so hot they clean themselves. I started using my oven in July and haven't had to remove ashes yet.
Dmn................................ .........................

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 02-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I remove about a 2 and a half gallons of coals each time when prepping to cook. The coals either go into an almost airtight metal trashcan to turn into charcoal, or into the grill next to the oven if the menu requires grilling. It is a simple process to get them out of the oven into either place using a metal peel and a hoe.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Journeyman

I like the idea, though. I realize everyone has their own preferences and opinions. I like the thought of just scraping them in and forgetting about the hot embers for awhile. That's just me, though. As they say, "to each his own". It'll be my first WFO and almost everyone would probably agree they learned a lot and would do at least one thing different the next time "if" they built again. Matter of fact, I recently read the thread about that subject (what folks would change). I might be on here a year or so from now saying I'd never do another ash dump.....time will tell, I guess. Or I might just be on here saying "there's nothing like a good dump".