Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Serf

Default Amount of space to allow for vent

We are ready to place our 36" pompeii on our hearth. We have a 62 x 70 inch block stand.

We are planning to use a 8.5" clay flue. How many inches should I allow from the outside of the inner arch to the outside of the outer arch?

Pam
Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Amount of space to allow for vent

Obviously it depends upon how you build it. Normally it will be about 6" wide from outside of inner arch to inside of outer arch to accommodate the inside diameter of the flue.

That gives from face of inner arch: 6" flue span+outer arch material.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

One brick length is plenty. Depending on the brick size and if you add a thermal break, that's about 8.5"-9.5". Unless you want a deep vent for dome reason....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This shows what I am talking about. It is about the simplest method to do it.

Smoke Chamber
Old 06-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Apprentice

I searched the forum a while ago about this when I was in the process of laying out my oven. I recall reading some posts about problems with smoke coming out the front with short vent landings. From that perspective, the minimum space required to build it might not be the best choice. Since mine is under a roof and will be finished in white stucco, I opted to make my vent landing deeper in hopes that I can reduce smoke problems. We'll see how it turns out. Everything is a compromise, I guess.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Deeper will help, but lighting the fire correctly will help more.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The depth of the vent is not that important.... it's the size of the throat opening and the flue that effects draw the most.
deejayoh likes this.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The depth of the vent is not that important.... it's the size of the throat opening and the flue that effects draw the most.
And, how it is transitioned between the two .

Old 06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Apprentice

Can you guys elaborate a bit?

I have read recommendations to preheat the chimney to avoid smoke problems, but took it as a work around for a problem with the vent design or chimney size/height, not as a general requirement. What is the correct way to light the fire to keep smoke to a minimum?

What exactly is the throat opening and what is a good size for it? How should it be transitioned?
Old 06-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubert_s View Post
Can you guys elaborate a bit?

I have read recommendations to preheat the chimney to avoid smoke problems, but took it as a work around for a problem with the vent design or chimney size/height, not as a general requirement. What is the correct way to light the fire to keep smoke to a minimum?

What exactly is the throat opening and what is a good size for it? How should it be transitioned?
Not a "work around", though preheating can be used to lessen the problem. Any oven can smoke, no matter the how the flu is designed, if the wrong weather conditions line up against you.

I'm sure you will get a lot of anwers on the "correct way to light the fire" But, holding the lit starter, (wether it be) a match, paper or torch high in the flu before lighting the bundle in the oven is the first step.

As for as transitioning, I like the funnel design.