Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Master Builder

Default Amateur insulated door

I made an attempt at an insulated door.

Followed the lead of others, especially Ken (with variation). Just used the sheet metal available at the local HD. I avoided any galvanized products.

Used thin aluminum (sold in a roll, used for flashing) to cut a long strip to surround the FB board. Made several cuts to help it wrap around the curve. Then riveted this (Stainless steel rivets) to a 22 G piece of steel on the inner side.

A 16 G piece of steel was used for the outer side. Stainless steel handles secured. The steel was secured with 2.5 inch Stainless bolts, sandwiching the insulating board in place.

I have some fireplace rope to glue to the edge to form a seal that will hopefully keep the outside from getting hot. The steel available at HD stated either "galvanized" (which I avoided), or "weldable" (which is what I used). What exactly is weldable steel? I'm assuming it's not stainless steel, otherwise it would have stated that. If it's not stainless, I should probably paint it with some high heat black paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Amateur insulated door-dscn1430.jpg   Amateur insulated door-dscn1434.jpg   Amateur insulated door-dscn1432.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Amateur insulated door

Very nice, Mike! Let us know how she performs.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nicely done! That will work great.

Updated!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Master Builder

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Some advice for my next door. I planned for the bulk of the door (with the insulation) to rest just inside the vent entry, with the outer lip resting against the reveal, sort of like a plug. I cut it too tight of a fit. It does fit in, but it's a nice snug fit. I'm worried that if the steel expands when hot, it might be tough to pull out.

I'll keep you posted. Can anyone tell me what "weldable" steel is? Is that stainless?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Apprentice

"Weldable" steel from HD would likely be either cold-rolled or hot-rolled mild steel, the biggest difference being in how it was processed. Both are called "weldable" or "mild" in that there aren't any unusual alloys included to add hardness, which could have reactions with standard plain steel welding rod. It is not stainless, and will rust.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Master Builder

Thanks, Jamie. Good info!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Journeyman

very nice! let us know how it for you.

My 44" oven in progress...

Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Apprentice

Great job!

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures: