Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Peasant

Default Aggrevating Variation in Block Size

Several days ago, I began dry stacking my block. All of a sudden I realized that my block had a good deal of variation in height. They should be 7 5/8" tall, but some of them are from 1/4" to 3/8" taller than they are supposed to be!

There is also surprising (to me anyway) variation in the other dimensions. Some of the block are not square top to bottom - and sort of lean out or lean in.

Needless to say, the stacked block look bad...with big gaps here and there. I always thought concrete block were more uniform in size.

Is this a common issue?

Should I try to fill the gaps with mortar before I pour the cores?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Aggrevating Variation in Block Size

Now you know the purpose of mortar. Those dimensions are well within standards for CMU, although the slumps units sound pretty crappy.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Journeyman

If you can live w/what you have, you can always adjust your formwork for your hearth slab to be square and level. Once the slab is poured and is square and level, the block work won't matter. Just be sure to fix it at that point and not let it go. Unless the block is real bad, it should just be a few minor adjustments to your form work to get it right, in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra

Last edited by NCMan; 06-04-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you chip off the little dags on the bottom of the blocks you will get a more uniform size. If you are not mortaring between the bricks an alternative is to use a masonry adhesive and some 5/16" washers placed at strategic places will keep the work level. The first row of bricks should have a bed of mortar between them and the foundation slab.

Last edited by david s; 06-04-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Peasant

In the past, when I've used block before, I believe they were much more uniform in size (and squareness). Yes, I understand that is one of the purposes of mortar.

But if I have a block 1/8" short and the next block is 3/8" tall, that is a 1/2" variation causing a 1/2" gap, and would look rather bad even if mortar were being used between the block.

As all of this will be covered in a yet-to-be-decided finish, I'm not really that worried about it...just aggravated.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I didn't say they were GOOD block, just within tolerance. If I put those CMU on a job, I would not be selling many block.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Apprentice

Why are you people shying away from laying the block with mortar? You are going to lay the most difficult part of the build with fireclay. Laying the base with mortar would get builders used to handling the tools of the trade.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campmaki View Post
Why are you people shying away from laying the block with mortar? You are going to lay the most difficult part of the build with fireclay. Laying the base with mortar would get builders used to handling the tools of the trade.
Maybe because the plans recommend dry stacking and filling every other core with re-bar and concrete?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Peasant

And because my height works out better without the mortar joints...
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Master Builder

I realise it'll be a PITA, but can you sort them before you start, so each course contains blocks of roughly the same height?