Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Serf

Default 42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest

I have already started into the build, But now Im in the brick oven phase. I would deffinetaly appreciate suggestions. I have been doing tons of research and will SURELY MISS TONS OF THINGS. So please remind me or suggest or flat out tell me im wrong.
My goal: I want it to have a finished look of James' oven. I want the chimney to finish in the center of the oven, just like James'. It will be enclosed with steel studs and have stucco complete. I am going to use tumbled slate on the exterior entrance. So no brick will be exposed or showing. it will be covered with backerboard and then slate and stucco..
I will flare my landing from a 20" opening with a 1" lip for the door to seal against, to a 28" opening.
I now have a few ?s:
1. Which Vent chimney?- I can buy clay pipe and cut angles to center it over the oven. I can also get steel 8" square by any length, that is 1/4 or 3/8 thick, really cheap. I could weld it all to fit. I am not going to spend the money on duratech although it would make life easier.
2. For my vent attachment area- should I arch it with brick, Run it flat with no arch using Steel that is painted to help it last, or cast something. (I have abilities to weld and do just about anything else.)
3. using home brew mix. how wide is too wide on an exterior joint.

here are some pics of my yard, just to show the idea behind it all. I am trying for Japanese style, Unfortunately its hard in AZ heat.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest-p1160004.jpg   42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest-p2010027.jpg   42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest-p2040136.jpg   42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest-p2040135.jpg  

Last edited by breakn; 03-01-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest

1. I would go with the pipe over steel - although where you live rust is not an issue.

2. Go with the arch. I think it gives you a better chance of a good draw. Also, if you go with the pipe it's pretty easy to shape it with an angle grinder.

3. I think my max joint was around 5/8 on the outside. It's covered now so I have no clue if it is a problem.

Just my opinions - hope it helps.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Serf

I saw a post of drakes 38" oven. How would that compare. Its a castable flue that has no brick work to it . I cant tell from james photo what he did. so I was really unsure what to do. The clay flue I would think would be the best for longevity. But i dont know if it would be easy to get it to center on the whole oven.
I like your main flue, what were the dimensions. It is nicer for the tie in.
YOur brick enclosure around your chimney, Does it have space? and just tie in at the top?

Thanks for your help as well.

Last edited by breakn; 03-01-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The clay flu, although it's pretty hard, is easy to shape. I think James used one of the ovens he sells - if you have the $$$, that's the easy ticket. I don't recall the dimensions of my vent opening - you can dig thru the gallery and see what it is (looking at brick space) There is a gap between the brick and flu - it's around 2 inches and I filled it with vermiculite/portland.

les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 03-02-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakn View Post
here are some pics of my yard, just to show the idea behind it all. I am trying for Japanese style, Unfortunately its hard in AZ heat.
How about an oven enclosure designed around a stone garden pagoda?

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ya, nice looking water feature and pond! Is it pond liner with rock over it? I plan on rebuilding my 8' round pond into a 18' long thing that will be in view of my WFO, AFTER I totally finish the oven!

Regarding your ???'s: First, looking at james build with the vent in the middle: I assume he could do that 'cuz he used the duratech SS (which already comes insulated for you) and 2 joints or elbows. I looked for his thread but couldn't find it to see if it's true. I don't see how you can do clay pipe out the center, but I never thought I could have built and oven either .

All the clay pipe (which I think is a super way to go, though I used the duratech) I 've seen lately here is a rectangular (8"ish x 16"ish?) cut in half at a diagonally and re-mortared to make a tapering vent.

Also, I think going all brick arch is good because all your materials are the same stuff close to the heat so they expand equally. By the time you cut and place your soldier course and diagonal flooring perimeter, you'll be a semi-pro at the arch thing.

Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Serf

Yah, my ponds are rubber epdm liner that are bare, they have a few boulders in them but for the most part they are exposed under the water line. It allows you to clean it. and rock just creates problems regarding punctures etc. Ill try to take a pic of the whole yard. I have 23,000 gallons in my ponds with a hot tub inset in the water as an island.
But back to things that matter, I have access to 8x8 clay flue here in tucson. So i would just use that and use 2 at the base to taper it. But I think if I brace it with steel studs and so forth, Or brick with crossbeams on top of it, I think I could center it. But im not totally sure of it.
By the way dino, YOur build is a huge help, You have plenty of pics as well, So thank you.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks breakn, I wanted to document my wfo build well and hope it's as helpful as others have been to me.
I see your oven base is poured. Are you going with a 4" vermi-crete mix on top or are you buying 2" rigid insulation? (or a bit of both?, some have done that). The island hearth is a pretty cool trick too. Lot's of luck on your oven build, looking forward to seeing it!
Cheers, Dino (island hot tub in your pond?, very nice)

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Serf

I have 2" insulating board underneath. And I am going to wrap it in the insulating cloth 2" worth and fill the oven surround with vermiculate 4" thick at edges skinniest point.
So I am hopefully going to put a full day into it monday.
I am going to go with clay flue chimney and probably use 2 at the base, so that it goes from 15" wide to 8". I still want to angle it to center the chimney over the oven. Any ideas on how to best do this. Bracing it up or so forth.
I am going to steel stud enclosure the oven and fill it with vermiculate. I wasn't sure if I need to leave spacing around the chimney and so forth.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by breakn; 03-07-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Serf

I found a pic of James entry which I really like the fact that it is flat on top and not arched. IS that just a flue stainless steel? or sheet metal. Or something purchased?
I have skills as a welder. Could I weld that or have my sheet metal guy bend that. If so what is used, Stainless? Maybe cast it out of concrete?

any ideas?
I hope its okay I repost this pic for a description. IF it isn't please remove it, and my appologies.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest-img_0331.jpg