Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Peasant

Smile 42" Pompeii Build in Boca

Hi to all. I have promised to post pics so that others can learn as I did from those who came before them. As an Eye surgeon, I know the value of learning from watching the work of both great surgeons and terrible ones. Hopefully as a mason, I will be at least some of the former, despite being mostly the latter. I will give my novice's pitfalls as I saw them during the build. Step one after downloading the plans: dig a hole. Not too hard, took longer than I thought as do all projects I haven't done in a while. Best advice? Buy a professional wheelbarrow. Needed here and more for next steps. Feel free to laugh, chastise, inform, throw rocks and garbage as we go. I'm nearly done, so it can't be changed anyway...
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-holeinground.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Peasant

Exclamation Re: 42" Pompeii Build in Boca

OK. On to step two. I know that this looks like all the other builds out there (except more messy and poorly constructed), so if you want a different pic or info, let me know. Round two: plastic in hole, rebar raised above plastic, pour enough concrete to fill a swimming pool in hole. Level and screed. Rest hands and back. Advice: LISTEN UP DUMMIES! DON'T DO WHAT I DID AND TRY TO MIX 55 BAGS OF CONCRETE IN A WHEELBARROW. I'M TOUGH, AND IT DAMN NEAR KILLED ME IN GOOD WEATHER! PERSONALLY, I WOULD FORGET THE PERSONAL CONCRETE MIXER TOO!!!! CALL YOUR LOCAL CONCRETE COMPANY AND A PUMPING COMPANY (THE CONCRETE COMPANY CAN OFTEN DO BOTH), AND HAVE THEM DO IT. DRINK BEER OR MARGARITAS WHILE THEY DO IT. PAT THEM ON THE BACK WHEN THEY ARE DONE! LAUGH ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK. THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, TIMES ARE TOUGH AND THE CONSTRUCTION BUSINESS IS TOUGHER RIGHT NOW. IN MANY PLACES IT IS CHEAPER TO HAVE THE CONCRETE DELIVERED AND PUMPED. YOU ARE GOING TO BE CARRYING LOTS OF CBS BLOCK, REBAR AND HEATSTOP, LET THE OTHERS POUR THE CONCRETE! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-basepour.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-cementequip.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-pour2.jpg  

Last edited by rlodad; 06-19-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 42" Pompeii Build in Boca

Looking good!

I'm there with you when you prescribe lots of help

But don't stop with help pouring a slab. I agree with dmun when he recommended getting some help with the heavy lifting! Swallow our pride and hire an expert when you are stumped. I hired a mason to lay the blocks, assist in pouring the slab and hearth, and to place 70% of the firebricks, all at my direction and per the pompeii plans.

This is a bigger project than you think, and protect those hands -I just had six stitches in my index finger from a construction mishap, but I'm not a surgeon

Regards,

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Peasant

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Build in Boca

All true, Lee. I am almost done, two months of weekends, and nearly all myself! I can't work weeknights, as I operate on Wednesdays and need to be able to operate in case of emergencies all other days. I just placed 3 blankets of ceramic insulation followed by chicken wire- that's a workout too! Taking a break before starting on the Perlcrete. Maybe I'll post another couple of past steps.

Last edited by rlodad; 06-19-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Peasant

Talking Re: 42" Pompeii Build in Boca

OK, taking a break after ceramic insulation and chicken wire, so i'll post a few of the earlier steps.

Step three: get the blocks, hearth concrete, rebar, plywood (I had that, my first hobby is woodworking). take your 7 yo son out to torture the guy with the truck and forklift. Just so you newbies know what you're getting yourself into, this is what the blockstand and hearth supplies look like when delivered. May as well get into the saw now too. I am a cheapo, so I used the junk home depot 7" $39 wet saw I used to put marble on the floor of a bathroom. I would, as nearly everyone else has said, go with the HF 7" mitering wet saw, or see about an MK on Craigslist. I added a blockstand pic.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-cinderblocks.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-cinderblocksconcrete.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-concreteonforklift.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-junksaw.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-blockstand.jpg  

Last edited by rlodad; 06-26-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Master Builder

Good on you Doc, that pizza will taste that much better knowing you laid all the bricks yourself.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Peasant

Boy, I hope so. Perlcrete is my least favorite substance on earth. But I'm done for the day- off to real work tomorrow...
Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Apprentice

I opted for a ready-mix trailer of concrete. Ended up being "roughly" the same price as bagged concrete. Lots of work heading your way - there's a great payoff when you're done.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Peasant

Smart. The work is nearly done, though, I just need to post more of the pics. Second fire was today. Pizza soon.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Peasant

So people think I am at the stage of the pics I have posted, maybe I wasn't clear, I'm almost done. So let's at least post some more pics: Stage 4 block stand building. Tricks here? First to cut the cinder blocks for the angle iron, don't use a grinder- use a circular saw with dry masonry blade. Faster and more accurate. Obviously use safety glasses and a respirator or mask.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-hardiebackerdown.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-hearthform.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-hearthformrebar.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-hearthpoor.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-ledgeform.jpg  

Last edited by rlodad; 06-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.