Old 04-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Laborer

Default 42" or 48" internal that is the question

building outdoor kitchen with brick pizza oven
not sure if i should go with the 42 or 48 inside
1. have a 11 inch counter if front of oven opening
2. 48" would give me 11" from front of arch to inside of oven
3. 42" in oven i get 14" arch
4. so if i got this right that would be 22" or 25" from front of counter to opening of oven
5. concerns a) do i have enough room for vent trans. b) will it take a lot longer to heat up an 48 ver 42 inch oven

went to expo was great most there said bigger is better more room for fire and piazza's
just not sure of vent and trans

numbers where from bottom of dome

so if i set the vent back over dome can get more room just have make trans different
8" vent either way
Old 04-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" or 48" internal that is the question

Yeah yeah yeah, for some reason FB suffers from major oven envy, everyone always says go bigger (in response to your experience at the expo). I built a 36". You should ask yourself what your intention is. Is this a personal backyard oven for you, your family, and the occasional party? For such use, I expect my 36" to perform just fine. I just finished my oven so I don't really know, maybe it's insufferably small and I don't realize it yet...but I doubt it.

My entry arch from outer face to dome interior curvature is:
3"+6"+2.5"+2.5"
or...
1/3rd brick long + 2/3rd brick long + 1 brick thick + 1 brick thick
or...
The outer 1/3rd is my exterior arch in front of the vent and supporting the chimney. The next 2/3rd brick is the depth of my vent opening. The inner arch supporting my dome and the rear support for the chimney consists of two face-on layers of bricks (see my thread for photos).

So my entryway is 14" deep. There might be ways to shorten that. The outer support could be a face-on brick (2.5" instead of 3"). The inner arch could be a single layer of brick. Finally, the vent opening could be shallower. These would offer challenges though. Merging the dome to the chimney would be fancier with a single layer arch and the risk of smoke escaping out the entrance would be greater with a shallower vent.

Take that as you will.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Old Dude, stick with the 42" it'll cook everything you'll want to cook and heat with less fuel.. Plus you have a lot of 42" inch ovens to use as your base for info.

Chris
Old 04-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Serf

I built a 48" oven because I found some nice 3" thick 12 X 24 tiles that I used for the floor. Fewer seams. I went 48" because the tiles were hard to cut with an HF 10" saw. I like the size. The oven is still pretty new and takes a while to heat and I use a ton of fuel. Actually, I haven't reached the high temp I'm looking for. But, it gets better every time I fire it up. I've been cooking pizzas on a 700 + degree floor. I really like the room inside. At this point it hardly seems worthwhile to fire up for less than a dozen pizzas. I'll be firing it up today.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Anything from 34 inches up works well as a home oven. I have 39 and its more than adequate IMO. Nothing against a 42 but a 48 is a LOT of oven - about 70 percent more floor space and twice as much mass as a 36 so it would need about twice as much wood to fire and would take a bit longer to get to temperature. I would go with the smaller oven.

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine is 21" and I don't think twice about firing it up to cook three pizzas. The smaller you go the more frequently you use it. You don't need tools with huge long handles either.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

So we're all in agreement, Any wood fired Pizza oven is a good pizza oven.

Old Dude you're local to Dino and a few others like myself, If you need to source anything just ask!!

Chris
Old 04-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Build two - 34 inchers. Same cooking area.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey olddude ( I just love saying that- thx for making that your forum name)

I have a 42" and could easily have made it 2-3" smaller & do all the stuff I do. I suggest staying with 42". Bigger ovens take more fuel and I already think twice about casual firings. You live close to me and not in a forest. It's relatively expensive for us city-folk to get wood or have it delivered and heating up anything larger than 42" dome is a commitment.

My 42" has a 15" deep landing (that starts about 3" within the 42" dome. My width is 22" at the oven entry and 25" wide at the outer entry arch. In front of that, I have an 8" counter.

Also, I'm 5'-11" with long, long arms (think alien ) and I can just barely maneuver things in the back of my oven. You will get used to whatever depth you end up with and the length of your reach, but I'm just forewarning you on the issue.

Can't wait to hear what your decision is olddude!
-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 04-01-2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: cant remember my own name sometimes
Old 04-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Olddude - just a sanity check. Are you located in So. Cal or the Bay Area? My old stomping grounds.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.