Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Serf

Default 40" WFO Chantilly, VA

All,

This is my second WFO build. I built my first oven in Temecula, CA in 2009 and a few years later the military moved us back to the EAST coast. This year I built my second oven. I cannot thank everyone enough for all the posts and info provided on this forum. I used this forum daily for both builds. My newest build is fully fuctional but I have not completed the "finish work." I am quickly closing in on the finish-line. I will attach photos of my build.
Again thank you to everyone on this forum!

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO Chantilly, VA-base2.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-base3.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven1.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Serf

Default Re: 40" WFO Chantilly, VA

Here is the beginning phases. Since this was my second build it went quite fast. I started with 2" of ceramic fb and then layed my firebrick on that. Then I created a template using the cheapest plywood I could find at Home Depot. I also used this to anchor my IT. I started my soldier course on the outside of the inner floor as not to cause any issues with the floor. Additionally, I built my own IT, this was an amazing help!
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven1.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven2.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven3.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven4.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Serf

One thing I did not do for the first 6 courses was to tapper the bricks. The gaps where very managable until that point. after this row I tapper all the rest of my bricks. As always the arch to dome connection is always a nightmare, I lost many nights sleep trying to think of the best way to do this. I still do not know the best way.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven5.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven6.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven7.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven8.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Serf

Some better views of completed arch and dome. I do not have any pictures from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven9.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven10.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven11.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Serf

Here is the closed dome. I used a 50/50 mix of type S and fireclay to cover the entire dome. I let this dry for a week and then fired it for a week. I had each fire good for a few hours to maintain aconstant heat to allow for the moisture to closely release from the brick and mortar. As the first became more intense I would leave the ambers in the oven all night long. Once complete I covered with 3 layers of ceramic fiber blanket. I used HVAC tape on the seems, more to hold everything together as I went on to the next layer. Then covered with chicken wire and covered with high strength motar, 1". I have not completed the final stucco layers as the winter in northern Virginia last much longer than normal and we had alot of snow.
I also build a door for my oven. I used 2 pieces of sheet metal to widge 2" of FB in between. I then attached the wood front with handles. I used the HVAC tape again to cover the exposed FB, just so it would not flake off every time I opened and closed the door. I has worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven13.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven14.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-door1.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-door2.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Serf

Here are some of the rewards of my labor.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO Chantilly, VA-bread.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-bread2.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-pizza.jpg   40" WFO Chantilly, VA-pizza3.jpg  
Old 05-17-2014, 06:00 AM
Serf

I have unstalled a brick front and side for the entrance. I put rebar in the walls holding the bricks together. The chimney will go in later this week. I am putting v-crete in the void over the inside arch. More rebar and mesh as well. Along with final stucco on the dome and the walls of the base.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO Chantilly, VA-oven15.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Serf

Continuing the build. Need to stucco the base and the dome now.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO Chantilly, VA-image.jpg  
Gulf likes this.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice-looking oven! Great-looking bread!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I really like your decorative arch!
I now dub yours'.....................:

40" WFO Chantilly, VA-peace.jpg

The Peace Oven .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."