Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Serf

Default 36" no masonery experience in CT

Like many first time builders I have read some great pst on this forum and seen some really good designs. Quick question if anyone can help.
I have finished my base and poured a 3 1/2" reinforced slab and a 3 1/2" insulating slab of vermiculite and portland. I think the floor will be no problem. My question is why some have cut an angle in the soldier course, is this to minimize the height of the dome?
I have some pictures will download tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" no masonery experience in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebert View Post
Like many first time builders I have read some great pst on this forum and seen some really good designs. Quick question if anyone can help.
I have finished my base and poured a 3 1/2" reinforced slab and a 3 1/2" insulating slab of vermiculite and portland. I think the floor will be no problem. My question is why some have cut an angle in the soldier course, is this to minimize the height of the dome?
I have some pictures will download tomorrow.
Welcome aboard!
I cut the top soldiers at an angle to start the curve without having a huge mortar joint with the first chain. I hope I did it for the correct reason! lol I too have no or VERY little masonry experience. I live down the road from you a piece in Southbury Ct. pretty much off exit 15 on 84 I am almost done closing up the dome.
Good Luck!

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.